UVIVF stuff

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Roel Wijtmans

UVIVF stuff

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

Walter Machielsen posted some lacewing photos taken with fluorescence, so I thought I'd share some similar photos I made a couple of months ago. I do not have a fluorescence microscope, but I use two Convoy lamps as my UV-source. All photos taken with a reversed EL-Nikkor 50 mm. The first pair is a dead moth that I found, and the second pair a lacewing wing in bad shape and very dusty. But I've learned the hard way that I am terribly bad at cleaning these small and fragile items, so I don't even try.

UV:

Normal light:

UV:

Normal light:

anoldsole

Love these

Post by anoldsole »

Great pictures! I've done some plant uvivf but this had inspired me to
take some bug shots.

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

You won't be disappointed! Some bugs are really nice under UV, with bright blue eyes and other fun stuff.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Nice shots - very interesting. Did you use any kind of barrier filter, or just light the subjects with the Convoy torches?

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

Thanks Beatsy! I used the Convoys with the 365 nm filters that can be installed in the lamps itself to filter out the last bit of visible light. And on the camera I used two stacked UV filters, since that was what I found to be needed to completely filter out reflected UV light.

anoldsole

Post by anoldsole »

What filters do you have on your convoys Roel? The filters I use are pretty cheap and I was wondering if there was a solution that gives off a little less blue and violet.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Cheap filters - unless my hand's fluorescing?
Chris R

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

I bought the filters from the same place where I ordered the flashlights: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.6fh2KC

I haven't tested them thoroughly myself, but here you can read about the difference they make: https://www.naturesrainbows.com/single- ... s-in-Years

They leak a bit of visible light (although very little compared to cheaper UV lamps) and these filters remove nearly all of that. Especially compared to the crazy amount of UV light which is coming from the Convoy, the remaining visible light still being emitted with the filter is hardly noticeable.

ChrisR, I actually think that skin is fluorescing. When I put my UV protection glasses (which block UV light but not visible light) in front of the lamp and aim at my skin, I see very little happening. So it's not the visible light from the lamp which is lighting up the skin.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I use the S2+ with ZWB2 filters and despite passing some visible they work well. Of course the ZWB2 is not at the level of better filters like the Shott UG1 or the Chroma AT350/50x or ET380x interference I have for the microscope but does its work...and how to find better filters fitting the S2+?

Your hand skin -and mine- actually fluoresces (the only visible light that passes is violet), I've also tested it with the ZWB2 adding the UG1....don't do it too often, it's harmful
Pau

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

Yes, your skin gets warm really quickly when pointing the Convoy at it. And it's even worse with eyes. I often go out in the woods at night looking for fluorescent fungi and lichens and I always carry UV glasses for protection. But several friends have joined me on these trips without UV glasses despite me warning them about it, and they all say their eyes feel a bit weird afterwards. And that is only from UV light which is reflected from the subjects. Pointing it directly at eyes is even worse.

I think you can fit two ZWB2 filters in the Convoys if you really want to block as much visible light as possible, but I haven't tested that myself.

anoldsole

Post by anoldsole »

I have the same filters as everyone else is seems. Haven't tried stacking them though, got to give that a try! I've got some Hoya U-340 filters in the mail i'll see how they compare when it gets here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic