Optiphot condenser block

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Optiphot condenser block

Post by Smokedaddy »

Looking for the item I outlined in yellow below that has the locking cam on it. I don't need the rest of the items but will consider everything outlined in green 'and' yellow.

-JW:

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi JW

I have also been looking for the part outlined in yellow (with the locking cam) but with little luck concluding that I would have to purchase a whole transmitted light stand to source this.

But if you find a treasure trove please get one for me as well !!

In terms of the parts outlined in green, which appears to include the part outlined in yellow (please confirm), what are the part numbers or descriptions please for the condenser mount which attaches to the part in yellow? It appears to include more than the condenser mount? Stage mount? Or is it all in one?

That information might help us both.

BR

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

John,

I don't know what the parts are actually called. I have everything I need except the part outlined in yellow. I assume it might be called the condenser focus block. It has a knob on the other side (but I don't need that either), a pinion gear (I assume) and the locking cam. I have the actual male dovetail black piece (R DIC T) but not the female focus block with the cam. I don't need the condenser centering holder (that attaches to the yellow condenser focus block. I don't need the condenser either. I outlined everything in green because I would take it all if someone wasn't willing to part it out, even the Optiphot stand. Everything I've seen on eBay is way to expensive but not many have been there anyway. The two that I've inquired about in the last few months were sold as 'for parts only'. The seller wouldn't confirm what worked and what didn't. I thought that was pretty stupid. Why would I want to buy a stand with all this stuff on it if the transformer was history, the main focus block needed repaired etc.

I simply might have to make something if nothing shows up in the next few months.

-JW:

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks.

I am now intrigued about what you are planning !!

Could it be that the "part outlined in yellow" has different features if coming from an Epi Optiphot as opposed to a Transmitted Light Optiphot.

I ask wondering if you have both types of Optiphot stand.

Does the former coming from an Epi have the feature for mounting a condenser?

BR

John

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Curious - are they compatible on Labophot/Labophot 2, which are more common?
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... just experimenting with my MM-11 is all. I'm wanting to mount different configurations on it and have the objective centered. Then I can use any of my Optiphot stages, condensers or my nikon inferrometer tilt tip stage. My epi-illumination ... Nomarski works fine, or any of my other small lenses (reversed enlarger lenses, scanner lens etc.). Who knows, maybe even my POL stage and its setup. or epi-fluorescence. If I can't find a Optiphot condenser FB thing, then I will machine something or 3D print something similar to the block. That locking cam makes everything a lot easier.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi JW
ChrisR wrote:Curious - are they compatible on Labophot/Labophot 2, which are more common?
Hope someone can answer.

I don't have an MM 11 but a look a like from Olympus. ( http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ympus+bhmj )

Coincidentally I have been thinking about how to provide transmitted light options with a BF condenser.

I came up with the idea, initially, of using an Optiphot stand which I have on the stage of my Olympus stand but I had to reject this on uncertainty of being able to mount a condenser carrier as in your photo above. Being from a Epi Stand I could not see if there was a means of attachment of a condenser carrier to the "part outlined in yellow".

The cost of importing an Optiphot transmitted light stand was prohibitive.

I am now resorting, as an alternative, to using an old Jena Laboval 4 stand (arm to be cut off) but with a condenser carrier and stage using a range of Lomo condensers and LED lighting. (Still awaiting condenser carrier.)

BR

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

dolmadis wrote:Thanks.

I ask wondering if you have both types of Optiphot stand.
Keep in mind that I'm not s microscope guy and still learning. I'm only familiar with the Optiphot Biological and POL model both of which are 99.5% complete. The only thing I'm missing is the Nikon binocular Bertrand head for my Optiphot POL scope. According to a technician at Nikon who worked on those particular models years ago, the transformers and that tiny circuit board had issues. They had a fix (re-design) for the tiny circuit board back then along with a revised schematic. Those parts are not available from Nikon any longer. The Optiphot Biological and Optiphot POL have the same insides (meaning the electrical stuff inside the stands base) and all of their accessories are compatible. Many of the 'few' Biological Optiphot(s) and Optiphot POL(s) you see eBay are advertised as either not tested, parts only, have no means to test or light not working. I think most are asking way to much for them, especially when you don't know what else isn't working. Of course there are a few complete working ones for $ale. I have only seen ONE transformer for sale on eBay in the last year and a half (some fellow in China).

From what I've been told (since getting involved in microscopy) the transmitted DIC components (for my Optiphot Biological) are extremely hard to find. Meaning the Nikon DIC Achr-Apl phase condenser and the intermediate adapter with analyzer. It has an NA of 1.35 and uses oil immersion 20x > 40x 100x DIC prisms. Unlike my PZO Biolar, Nikon never made a DIC condenser > prism for 10x objectives, except for on the Diaphot DIC system (which > lacks the 100x prism).

UPDATED:I was told that all attachments that fit the Labophot will fit the Optiphot. The opposite isn't true. You can't mount an epi illuminator on a Labophot due to the optic in the head mount. I think the condenser centering carrier are interchangeable but that's it. I have no personal experience with this, only what I was told.

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

dolmadis wrote:Thanks.

Does the former coming from an Epi have the feature for mounting a condenser?
Sorry, I don't understand the question John?

-JW:

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Sorry.

If you have an Epi based Optiphot (no light in base) and you have the piece outlined in yellow could you mount a condenser carrier on it please?

BR

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

dolmadis wrote:Sorry.

If you have an Epi based Optiphot (no light in base) and you have the piece outlined in yellow could you mount a condenser carrier on it please?
I dunno, but that's the goal. <g>

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

That is my goal too. :D

If you ever find that piece to check on that or you design a 3D piece in substitute then I shall be so pleased to hear from you especially if you can let me have the file to print one in the UK !!

Thank you, JW.

BR

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I tried mounting the Zeiss FB on the baseplaster but didn't like it, so I thought I would mount it to the MM-11 vertical column. It's the only FB that I've found that will fit under the vertical dovetail of the MM-11. Plus it's the thinner (in the North./South direction) than other blocks I've tried and extremely rigid. I never could get the Zeiss dovetail condenser mechanism to work properly and consistent. I've taken in apart several times, cleaned it etc.and gave up. I figured I could easily make an adapter for the Zeiss FB to work with any of my Optiphot stage/condenser accessories. I also have a bunch of 'components' to modify the MM-11 for transmitted light but haven't got around to making it all work. Then I simply cut down an old Zeiss stand and put it on top of the steel plate (along with a couple of magnets).

I ended up mounting the FB on the column (like below):

I didn't like the way it worked on this setup (below);

Then I cut down an old Zeiss stand (below);

... and endup with this this setup (below);

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

It looks to me that the third photo shows that you are there with a condenser on the MM 11 rig with your cut down Zeiss stand.

What tips have you got to ensure that the cut down stage is centred?

Presumably the fine centering of the condenser will be on the Zeiss stand?

Using the light train on the Zeiss? Or custom LED?

Does it work?

BR

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

dolmadis wrote:It looks to me that the third photo shows that you are there with a condenser on the MM 11 rig with your cut down Zeiss stand.

What tips have you got to ensure that the cut down stage is centred?

Presumably the fine centering of the condenser will be on the Zeiss stand?

Using the light train on the Zeiss? Or custom LED?

Does it work?
If using my inferrometer tilt tip stage on the MM-11, it has X/Y adjustment (but not much) so centering isn't much of an issue.

Does it work, well that depends on what I am imaging I suppose. I photographed the wafer with the Zeiss setup (see link below) so centering wasn't an issue.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ceb0881113

I did the Analog Devices AD741KH image with my 35mm Macrophoto and the Zeiss setup (link below) but naturally those were all done with epi reflected light and centering wasn't an issue.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 07d865be5b

UPDATE: Just confirmed. I don't know of anyone that has tested the Zeiss condenser using diascopic illumination on a MM-11 setup
I don't have a Zeiss condenser for mine and don't know anything about them, so I can't answer that question. I do have a larger X/Y stage that will fit under the Zeiss stand so centering won't be an issue. I would just need to make a simple adapter plate to make everything secure and stable. My Zeiss stage (while aesthetically pleasing) has X/Y issues. I've taken it apart as far as I was able to several times but never could fix it. Yet another expensive little door stop.

I'm not sure on the light train since I really don't know what all the requirements are. Obviously using the Zeiss will be the no brainer option. I do have a spare power supply, lamphouse, lamphouse holder, diffuser, mirror, adjustable iris and a field lens and it's holder. My electronics experience is very limited. I can solder, TIG weld etc., have a very steady hand and good eyes.

... interferometer tilt tip stage (you and only see one of the X/Y micrometers)

... larger X?/Y stage

... just a mockup for the larger X/Y stage

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic