Life on the Edge

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Life on the Edge

Post by leonardturner »

Saul

Post by Saul »

Splendid. Please share tech details
Saul
μ-stuff

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Thank you, Saul. It was done with a reversed El-Nikkor 50 mm f2.8, stack of 230 images, about 2.5X on full-frame (Nikon 810) sensor, with a little crop. LED lighting with homemade diffuser.

Do you know what it is?

Leonard

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm guessing the edge of daffodil petals.

--Rik

Saul

Post by Saul »

No idea, but it is very nice and needs stereo version ;)
Saul
μ-stuff

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Yea I have also no idea, still a great shot though.

svalley

Post by svalley »

Sweet shot! Well done.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks to all of you for your kind words.
Saul, you inspired me to do my first stereo ever. It worked, sort of, but it's not of posting quality. The original image was cropped and rotated after stacking, and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with a stereo pair. Maybe next time--sorry.
And Rik, you nailed the id. Good eye!

Leonard

Saul

Post by Saul »

leonardturner wrote:...It worked, sort of, but it's not of posting quality. The original image was cropped and rotated after stacking, and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with a stereo pair. Maybe next time--sorry...
You can use http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ with your stacked/edited photos. Post that stereo ;) we all are learning here :), nobody is perfect ...
Saul
μ-stuff

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

leonardturner wrote:And Rik, you nailed the id.
I had help from Mother Nature. There happens to be a bed of daffodils in bloom right outside my window. The similarity would have been difficult to miss!
The original image was cropped and rotated after stacking, and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with a stereo pair.
Making stereo with intention to rotate can be done in Zerene Stacker, but it requires some care.

The formally correct approach is to specify both X- and Y-shifts in the Preferences > Stereo/Rocking panel, using values such that rotating the results into final orientation will bring the Y-shifts to zero, or at least close enough that StereoPhoto Maker or moving the views in Photoshop can finish the job to give a good result.

Unfortunately the exact number depends on the frame aspect ratio as well as the intended rotation angle, so it's not trivial to calculate. As I type this, I think the appropriate computation would be that Y-shift % should be X-shift % multiplied by (X-size/Y-size) * tan(theta) for a rotation angle theta and X-size and Y-size being the image size in pixels. But I haven't checked that.

When experimenting with stereo, it helps to use Preferences > Preprocessing to pre-size the images small and stack every N'th frame with fairly large N, so as to keep the processing time short.

--Rik

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

OK, Saul, this one's for you--you pushed me into it. Not exactly a finished product, and certainly not a replication in stereo of the earlier image, but its what I could do at this stage. Rotation and cropping were done of images simultaneously in Bridge, and they were retouched individually.

Rik, thanks for your information and input on this. I'm afraid my facility for trig has fallen off a bit over the decades! These were stacked "straight" and manipulated as above, giving only partial control of rotation. Nevertheless, a fun project.

Leonard

ImageImage

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Very nice.
Excellent stereo.
Thanks for sharing.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice work!

This is good stereo, excellent really for such a challenging first attempt.

Judging from the artifacts that I see, these were rendered with PMax. That is always the first thing that I do too, but with subjects like this you'll get a better final result if most of the image comes from DMap. That's because when the stereo shifts are involved, PMax tends to produce brightness and contrast that does not match between the two views. For example in the pair shown here, the image on the right side has a brighter and more contrasty left edge on the petal. Using DMap, both views would be faithful to the original source images, so they would also match each other.

I hope this helps!

--Rik

Saul

Post by Saul »

leonardturner wrote:OK, Saul, this one's for you--you pushed me into it...
Hi Leonard,
Great stereo, do not try to tell me that you are not satisfied with your result ;)
Saul
μ-stuff

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Thanks to all, and I very much appreciate the useful tips, Rik and Saul.

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic