Please Recommend a Flashpoint TTL Flash for a Canon T4i

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Please Recommend a Flashpoint TTL Flash for a Canon T4i

Post by Deanimator »

In a related thread, I described my problems getting my Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash to work with a new Flashpoint R2 transmitter/receiver set.

Apparently there are some compatibility issues regarding the flash and various flavors of ETTL. These may be causing the problem with the receiver.

That flash is no longer supported by Sigma.

While it works just fine on the camera or with a TTL cable, I really need to ditch the cable as it constantly gets in the way when used on my field macro rig.

Assuming that neither Godox nor anyone else can come up with a solution, what Flashpoint flash is recommended for outdoor macro?

99% of what I shoot outdoors is nocturnal spiders in awkward locations.

Which Flashpoint speedlight would be good for that purpose in terms of price versus performance? The unit will be used for almost nothing except the above stated purpose.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I have the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on (TTL) & Manual Speedlights that I use when/wherever I don't use Studio Strobes. These work well with the Nikon bodies and the wireless RF R2 system.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:I have the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on (TTL) & Manual Speedlights that I use when/wherever I don't use Studio Strobes. These work well with the Nikon bodies and the wireless RF R2 system.

Best,
Would the non-Li-on version be good? I never take that many exposures at one time, and the AA version is significantly cheaper.

Thanks.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Deanimator wrote:
mawyatt wrote:I have the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on (TTL) & Manual Speedlights that I use when/wherever I don't use Studio Strobes. These work well with the Nikon bodies and the wireless RF R2 system.

Best,
Would the non-Li-on version be good? I never take that many exposures at one time, and the AA version is significantly cheaper.

Thanks.
I don't have the AA version of the TTL, but the manual version is AA powered. Got these long ago as I did my homework regarding R2, strobe & Nikon compatibility. The Li-on version were initially priced much lower (on sale) when they first came out, about same $ as AA versions now! The Li-on caught on quickly and thus demand is high now.

I would think the AA version of the TTL should work fine, make sure you use Enloops or the Ikea versions (Google this).

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:I don't have the AA version of the TTL, but the manual version is AA powered. Got these long ago as I did my homework regarding R2, strobe & Nikon compatibility. The Li-on version were initially priced much lower (on sale) when they first came out, about same $ as AA versions now! The Li-on caught on quickly and thus demand is high now.

I would think the AA version of the TTL should work fine, make sure you use Enloops or the Ikea versions (Google this).

Best,
Thanks.

I hate to ditch a perfectly good flash, but the cable is a real pain in the field.

I guess I'll just have a decent flash for that one time a year in which I shoot something besides macro and still life and need a flash. The Flashpoint can just stay attached permanently to my macro rig.

I'll probably order the Flashpoint this weekend.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I picked up my Flashpoint Zoom flash yesterday.

The instructions are none too clear, but I managed to find this morning a set of relatively simple instructions.

It's definitely going to be a lot handier than the Sigma and its TTL cable that constantly got in the way.

I did run into issues with the trigger and flash being too close together, but simply rotating the flash arm away from the body fixed that.

I haven't been able to get it to fire in LiveView where the Sigma on the cable would and I've got some minor stability issues with the flash rig, but I think this is going to work out pretty well. I may end up replacing the headlamp I'm using as a modeling light with a more powerful version, but I can probably get by with the existing one.

There's literally NOTHING to photograph outside now, since it hasn't been over 40deg F in over a week, but spring will eventually get here, and with it lots of orb weavers.

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic