Blue Bottle

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mant01

Blue Bottle

Post by mant01 »

Stack from this morning. Canon 80D, mp-e 65mm, RS-90P Rail, 94 stack

ImageBlue Botte by John Colledge, on Flickr

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

Very nice detail and colours. Thanks :)

The bluebottles are out early in Durham..

mant01

Post by mant01 »

Thank you lol I keep a few spiders so the odd fly I keep for myself.

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

Beautiful image, great color, and detail.

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Stunning Details.

mant01

Post by mant01 »

Thank you :D

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Excellent image. Your lighting looks great. I'd be interested to hear about your lighting. Just getting into this type of macro.

mant01

Post by mant01 »

Thank you, as far as lighting the other people on here would be much better at help with a setup as mine is a bit of a mess to be honest. I use 2 cheap flashes on light stands, 2 cheap soft boxes and then a sheet of the soft box material over the insect held by a frame I made. So the light goes through the 2 layers of diffusion with the soft box (they have an inner sheet inside these kinds) and then through the one over the insect. Don't get the best diffusion but it works for me. Other people though will give much better advice if you post the question as people on here are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Excellent image!
Perfect light and nice colors.
And lots of details.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

mant01 wrote:Thank you, as far as lighting the other people on here would be much better at help with a setup as mine is a bit of a mess to be honest. I use 2 cheap flashes on light stands, 2 cheap soft boxes and then a sheet of the soft box material over the insect held by a frame I made. So the light goes through the 2 layers of diffusion with the soft box (they have an inner sheet inside these kinds) and then through the one over the insect. Don't get the best diffusion but it works for me. Other people though will give much better advice if you post the question as people on here are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.
Superb image!!

This is kind of what I found in lighting with the chip images I do, using a double diffused soft box and additional diffusion (sometimes dual light tents) produces a very uniform lighting profile.

Studio "C" stands also make good stands for macro use, the ability to position the light source (strobe or speedlight) just about anywhere around the subject is very convenient, and you can just swing the light source out of the way when needed.

Nice work!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mant01

Post by mant01 »

Never tried a C stand Mike but probably a better option than what Im currently using. Space is a big issue for me so I'll see if I can pick some up and try it out.
Thanks everyone for such positive feedback, its very appreciated coming from you guys.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic