Raynox and Micro-Nikkor 200mm/f4?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

IvanG

Raynox and Micro-Nikkor 200mm/f4?

Post by IvanG »

Hello everyone.

I'm considering buying the Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250 lenses.

I intend to use the Raynox with a Micro-Nikkor AF 200mm/f4 lens. I've read caveats about using the Raynox with real macro lenses, since the front element of these may be too recessed to make mounting the Raynox practical, but I haven't found specific references to this potential combination. The front element of the 200mm is recessed, but nowhere near as much as that of a Micro-Nikkor 60mm, for instance. Has anyone here used the 200mm Micro-Nikkor successfully with the Raynox?

I also own a Nikon AF-D 80-200/f2.8 lens. Would this be a better match for the Raynox? Has anyone tried this combo?

All tips and comments will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!.

Almblad

Post by Almblad »

Yo, got the Raynox lenses (DCR-202 & DCR-250) and I use them with my Micro-Nikkor 105mm. Remember that the UAC3500 Universal adapter that comes with these lenses have a minimum and maximum requirements for the front threading Ø52 - Ø67. Hope this will help a little at least, I have linked two images and these are taken with Nikkor 70-300 f3.5-f6.3 and Micro-Nikkor 105 f2.8, both have with and without the Raynox DCR-250. The picture on the left is without and the on on the right is with.

Raynox DCR-250 with Nikkor 70-300 by Patrik Almblad

Raynox DCR-250 with Micro-Nikkor 105 by Patrik Almblad, on Flickr

IvanG

Post by IvanG »

Hello Almblad, thanks so much for your reply, it's helpful to get some feedback.

I owned the Micro-Nikkor in the past and loved it, but it was stolen a few years ago. So I don't have it with me to make a direct comparison with the 200mm Micro-Nikkor I now have. But judging from memory and looking at pictures of both lenses on the web, the 105 does seem to have a much shorter distance between the front filter thread (where the Raynox is attached with its adapter) and the front glass element of the lens than the 200mm does, with its front glass element that seems to be further recessed. This is what makes me doubtful about the feasibility of using the Raynox with this particular lens.

So again, sincere thanks for your feedback, but still I wonder: anyone out there with experience using the Raynox specifically with the 200mm/f4 AF Micro-Nikkor?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic