Old Gentleman Resistor

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Old Gentleman Resistor

Post by mawyatt »

I was testing my XYR Subject Positioner and needed a simple subject.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=36422

Looked around and saw an old resistor I use for poking at things. This resistor has to be as old and beat-up as I am :roll:

I used it as a subject and the XYR worked fine allowing me to precisely position this old guy to fit within the frame of a D800E with a Lomo 3.7 lens. I went ahead and ran stacked a session just to see how it looked and how well the Lomo worked.

Here's the image without any processing other than stacked in Zerene, and a slight crop to remove perimeter stacking artifacts, nothing else was done.

The old guy is dirty, scratched, soiled with some chemicals & flux and banged up, but certainly has some nice character IMO :D

Best,

Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very smoothly lit. Is this with your double-diffuser setup?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou,

This was on my Vertical Stand using a couple Studio Strobes with some shipping foam as diffusers and a sheet of HP Ink Jet paper wrapped around the stage as the main diffuser. I was initially just trying to see how well the XYR would help with subject positioning, not trying for a particular good image.

BTW the double-diffuser setup, if that's the dual light tent approach you are referring to, is on my more precision horizontal setup. I generally use this setup for things above ~4X. Sometimes I'll go with quadruple or triple diffusion techniques depending on the subject, usually involving diffusing the strobes with softboxes, and/or styrofoam cups surrounding the subject.

Made some large diffusion cones (8" dia) for the subject when the styrofoam cups weren't big enough from $ Store card stock, these diffused well but added a ugly yellow cast. The styrofoam cups work very well and don't add a significant color cast, but I haven't found any over ~4" diameter.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou,

Since we are discussing light source diffusion, might mention for studio macro I moved away from speedlights to studio strobes long ago for various reasons; no batteries, more power, faster output at higher power, quicker refresh, and more uniform output, but gave up the convenience of the speedlight size. So positioning the much larger & heavier strobes became an issue. Used the usual light stands with some success, but these prevented getting very close to the stacking setup and subject.

I got some studio "C" stands which have a relatively long "arm" you attach the strobe to which allows the position the strobe head above, around or to the side of the subject, just about anywhere you want without interfering with the subject. Also, you can "swing" the strobe head out of the way when you want to get access to your setup or subject, and "swing" it back in place when you are ready to begin the session. This allows the convenience of the speedlight positioning, but with a larger strobe head.

Best,
~Mike

Olympusman

Resistor

Post by Olympusman »

Wow! A flash from the past. When I was in the Army they taught me how to read these things.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

mawyatt

Re: Resistor

Post by mawyatt »

Olympusman wrote:Wow! A flash from the past. When I was in the Army they taught me how to read these things.

Mike
Yes, we all remember the "Politically and Morally Incorrect" rhyme :roll:

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic