Stone fly nymph, preserved

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Stone fly nymph, preserved

Post by Ken Ramos »

Maybe this could be the cause of the decline in insect species, "collectors." However, I doubt it. When fly fishing for trout here in the mountains, I sometimes take sample specimens of aquatic insect nymphs. This one preserved in nothing more than rubbing alcohol in a small glass vial. :)

Both images: Canon EOS 7D w/Sigma f/2.8 EX DG 105 mm macro @ 1:2 w/Canon 250D close up lens. F/16 @ 1/60 sec. ISO 640 Illumination 60W daylight LED.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely!

These strike me as having almost a "cartoonish" character to them, as if a talented artist had set out to illustrate by painting what bug-in-a-bottle might look like.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this impression. It may be due to the absence of specular reflections from the surface of the bug.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

rjlittlefield wrote:Lovely!

These strike me as having almost a "cartoonish" character to them, as if a talented artist had set out to illustrate by painting what bug-in-a-bottle might look like.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this impression. It may be due to the absence of specular reflections from the surface of the bug.

--Rik
This was illuminated by a daylight LED flood that is equivalent in brightness to a regular 60W household light bulb, maybe that could explain the appearance. Actually I like the results the LED illumination gives to the subject, I wasn't expecting it. Thanks Rik :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic