Live view issue

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

stormfoxy

Live view issue

Post by stormfoxy »

I've stumped in finding a solution to this.

I have a canon 5d mkiii and an mpe 65mm lens.
I set my rig up and focus on my subject ex an insect, now I can see the insect is in view though my view finder however when I switch to live view the screen is completely black.
Its as if the live view isnt detecting any light, when i take test shot the picture is swamped with light.

Should I just make sure everyting is right using my viewfinder and then continue with the stack without using live view or am I doing something wrong?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Check the LV settings
For example, if you use a non compatible EX flash and you have LV in Exposure simulation mode and you set the camera in M mode with high speed (like 1/200) you'll get the black screen if the light is too dim to take a picture without flash at that speed (well, in that case the flash will not fire if you don't disable LV for the stack)

You can test LV with lots of light with the camera in AV mode to be sure that it works properly.

I always have simulation mode disabled, a test shot is more accurate
Pau

stormfoxy

Post by stormfoxy »

Pau wrote:Check the LV settings
For example, if you use a non compatible EX flash and you have LV in Exposure simulation mode and you set the camera in M mode with high speed (like 1/200) you'll get the black screen if the light is too dim to take a picture without flash at that speed (well, in that case the flash will not fire if you don't disable LV for the stack)

You can test LV with lots of light with the camera in AV mode to be sure that it works properly.

I always have simulation mode disabled, a test shot is more accurate
I'm not using flash though, I have 2 LED lights literally 3 inch from the subject and the live view is still pitch black.

edit: As far as I can tell my issue is not enough light. I have two small led lamps as my light source, however when I change my iso from 100 to auto I get an image at 1600 iso. Guess ill have to get some bigger lights.
Last edited by stormfoxy on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:Check the LV settings
Wise advice.

The live view settings can be RADICALLY different, as I found out when I first started shooting nocturnal spiders.

I don't know about that model, but on the T4i, you need to CAREFULLY check the settings displayed on the live view screen.

Some of these settings can be very counter-intuitive. In the end, it's going to come down to a combination of research and trial and error.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

stormfoxy wrote:
Pau wrote:I'm not using flash though, I have 2 LED lights literally 3 inch from the subject and the live view is still pitch black.
I use an LED headlamp as a modeling light and flash. I had the same problem.

I use a T4i. CAREFULLY examine the settings ON THE LIVE VIEW SCREEN. They're not necessarily the same as the settings not in live view.

I advise you to do test shots in a controlled environment where you don't need to worry about subject movement or environmental issues. Google the settings you don't understand and make changes as appropriate.

stormfoxy

Post by stormfoxy »

Deanimator wrote:
stormfoxy wrote:
Pau wrote:I'm not using flash though, I have 2 LED lights literally 3 inch from the subject and the live view is still pitch black.
I use an LED headlamp as a modeling light and flash. I had the same problem.

I use a T4i. CAREFULLY examine the settings ON THE LIVE VIEW SCREEN. They're not necessarily the same as the settings not in live view.

I advise you to do test shots in a controlled environment where you don't need to worry about subject movement or environmental issues. Google the settings you don't understand and make changes as appropriate.
I completely reset my camera's settings and have checked the live views settings to no avail. Tomorrow when I have more time I'm going to get my work lights out and see if they make a difference. I believe it is a matter of not enough light.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

stormfoxy wrote:
Deanimator wrote:I use an LED headlamp as a modeling light and flash. I had the same problem.

I completely reset my camera's settings and have checked the live views settings to no avail. Tomorrow when I have more time I'm going to get my work lights out and see if they make a difference. I believe it is a matter of not enough light.
In what mode are you shooting, AV? TV?, Manual?

When using my Wemacro, I work in live view. Depending upon what lens combination I'm using, I will get a black live view screen. Turning on a 100w CFL over my subject gives me enough light to focus, whereupon I go back to manual and turn the light out.

As mentioned previously, when shooting outdoors, I use an LED head lamp as a modeling light. Except where there are security lights on, I get a black screen without the LED light.

stormfoxy

Post by stormfoxy »

Deanimator wrote:
stormfoxy wrote:
Deanimator wrote:I use an LED headlamp as a modeling light and flash. I had the same problem.

When using my Wemacro, I work in live view. Depending upon what lens combination I'm using, I will get a black live view screen. Turning on a 100w CFL over my subject gives me enough light to focus, whereupon I go back to manual and turn the light out.

As mentioned previously, when shooting outdoors, I use an LED head lamp as a modeling light. Except where there are security lights on, I get a black screen without the LED light.
Im shooting indoors on Manual, with the mp-e 65mm at 5:1. At that magnification I don't think my LED lamps are giving out enough light for the viewfinder to pick anything up.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

stormfoxy wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
stormfoxy wrote:

Im shooting indoors on Manual, with the mp-e 65mm at 5:1. At that magnification I don't think my LED lamps are giving out enough light for the viewfinder to pick anything up.
Compose in AV, then switch back to manual. That's how I always do it and it works great.

Joyful

Post by Joyful »

One of the Live view settings is "Exposure Simulation" Best have this set OFF.

Also, Shooting at 5X needs LOTS OF LIGHT.

I have 3x 10W LEDS taken from exterior floodlights for my high mag "focusing lights", then switch to my Macro Twinlight fflash for actual exposure

Joyful

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic