Nosepiece to tubes/lens?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

concon

Nosepiece to tubes/lens?

Post by concon »

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I'm having a time locating anything.

Has anyone connected a microscope nosepiece/turret to their telephoto lens or tube setup?

I understand the weight strain and the mounting required to make sure everything moved correctly; I also know that a better option might be just flipping my horizontal setup vertical and looking through an actual microscope, but I'd like to avoid that for the time being if possible.

I'm using 3 mitty objectives as my mains (20x,50x,80x) so the tube distance is static; I'm aware I'd still have to hunt forwards and backwards to find my subject when switching objectives, but that's okay.

Can something like this be reworked? - https://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy ... al-turret/

cube-tube

Post by cube-tube »

I haven't done it myself, but I wouldn't be worried about the extra strain. It seems like a clever way to switch objectives quickly. And I imagine that the threads on that Mitutoyo turret would be easy to match up with something to screw into your lens.

Saul

Post by Saul »

It is on the bellows but could be used on the tube setup:
Saul
μ-stuff

concon

Post by concon »

Very nice! I'm using a Raynox as my relay so a set of bellows has been on my buy list. I imagine that there's a custom adapter between the step down ring and turret, yes?

Any advice on mounting to the bellows?

Appreciate the example (extra motivation for me)

Saul

Post by Saul »

concon wrote:... that there's a custom adapter between the step down ring and turret, yes?
Thanks !
Going down:
- Nikon T mount
- 42-52 adapter ring, pressed & glued to the 3D printed part
- 3D printed part
- microscope head bottom plate with dovetail (in my case - leftovers from the Reichert head)

Other options of this setup:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 731#195731
Saul
μ-stuff

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Years ago I modified a couple of second-hand objective turrets for the Zeiss Universal by removing the rear bayonet and mounting in its place a Nikon F bayonet. The rear of the turret is just wide enough for the Nikon F flange, and flat and thick enough to drill and tap 2MA screw holes.

The turrets for the Zeiss Universal are easy to adapt in this way. The ones for the Zeiss Standard have an oblique attachment and are useless for this purpose. I have a few turrets of other brands that are not suitable because the area that attaches to the microscope tube is too small. No doubt there are some other brands/types of turrets that can modified in the same way.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic