newport 423

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

stormfoxy

newport 423

Post by stormfoxy »

I have this linear stage, the pic above is of the bottom of the newport 423. My problem is that how do I attach the linear stage to my tripods plate?

The middle holes are too big for my plates screw and they don't have a thread in them. I have seen images online of other people who have managed it but unless i'm missing something im completely out of ideas.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Stormfoxy,

The approach I use is to make (or have someone make for me) an adapter plate. Such a plate typically consists of a piece of flat aluminum stock, cut to fit the top or bottom of your stage, and drilled/tapped as needed to go between your stage and the Arca-style plate you want to attach.

--Chris S.

stormfoxy

Post by stormfoxy »

Chris S. wrote:Stormfoxy,

The approach I use is to make (or have someone make for me) an adapter plate. Such a plate typically consists of a piece of flat aluminum stock, cut to fit the top or bottom of your stage, and drilled/tapped as needed to go between your stage and the Arca-style plate you want to attach.

--Chris S.
That sounds like a decent idea, others have told me to flip the stage upside down, apparent the holes line up that way.

genera

Post by genera »

Maybe an Arca clamp on the tripod head and a compatible plate on the Newport stage.

Something like this on the tripod head:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desmond-DAC-04- ... SwPfZZz~dk

and then a rail/plate like this on the Newport stage:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-Quick-Rel ... SwFqJWnbfS

You could mount this plate directly to the Newport stage using the existing threaded holes (albeit off center from side to side).

Check your screw spacing and thread type before buying anything, the items I pointed out as examples won't necessarily work with your stage or tripod.

That particular stage is spring loaded against the adjustment screw. When it's close to level everything works fine but, depending on direction of the stage and the weight of the camera, when you tilt it downward gravity might pull the camera away from the screw. That might be a problem if you're thinking about using it for field work.
-Gene

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Newport (etc) plates come with all variations imaginable, plus a few more, of holes, plain and threaded.
Use it whichever way up is easier.
You may need something like a loop of surgical (silicone) rubber tubing tied around it to hold the weight of the camera against the drive screw. Car accessory shops do some of those. (Turbos??)

Metal plates are of couse best, and there's a host of partial solutions in the form of "arca" and "tripod" adapter plates if you can sift between the eBay listings.
You don't have to use metal plate, pywood or MDF can be perfectly good and are easier to try with.
1/4" x 20 bolts and screws, hex-socket head and otherwise, are easy to find to go through any thickness.

The rail I bought happens to have some 1/4" x 20 tpi holes, so I use it upside down relative to what the manufacturer intended. Its plain unthreaded holes take long "tripod screws" from ebay, going right through.

I intended to add "arca" plates and clamps to it, but as it is the time taken to get it together, compared with everything else which has to be done to take a stack, is small.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic