POLLEN?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

SONYNUT

POLLEN?

Post by SONYNUT »

Shot this a long time ago and left it sitting on my rig.reshot last night..are the spheres pollen or something else?Image
Just shoot it......

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In the second image, the little yellow spheres dotted with spikes look like pollen.

In the first image, I don't recognize the big fluffy orange spheres. Is that the style and stigma of some flower?

--Rik

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I agree with Rik. The second image is pollen on dried up flower stigmas. It looks like mallow family, maybe hollyhock? The first image I can't place at all. It's plant for sure, as Rik says; the fluffy balls could be stigmas I suppose, but they are distinctly odd. With a bit of imagination, there's maybe pollen sticking to them in places. Knowing the magnification would help.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

yes the first pic is the flower center part..there was
some pollen on them ..but they were all over months later (second shot)...

at least it isn't some other infestation

Just shoot it......

hero

Post by hero »

This is most definitely some variety of hibiscus. The first image depicts the stigma, and the second image shows individual pollen grains attached to the anthers. This genus is known for having a distinctive and prominent reproductive part, with relatively large pollen grains. Here are examples at varying magnifications.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Looks like you have it spot on there Hero. Hibiscus is in the Mallow family (Malvaceae) so that also confirms my suspicion. Nice pictures by both posters BTW :)
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

yup.. one of those..can't even remember where I got it..I just left it on my rig to shrivel up. I wasn't expecting all the pollen
Just shoot it......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic