Gigantic macro rail need advice

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

harisA

Gigantic macro rail need advice

Post by harisA »

Last week hanging around a flea market I came across this'' little'' monster. After some negotiations with seller the price dropped to the equivalent of the scrap value of its consisting metal parts.(it is mainly made of stainless steel with some aluminum parts).
I felt a bit of regret when I tried to lift it .It proved to be very heavy and I had to use both of my hands.

Some numbers first.It weights 13kilos and has a length of 65cm.Step is 2mm for a full turn of the knob.It seems to be able to handle very heavy loads. Construction seems very impressive and some parts look handmade.
Can anybody knows its initial purpose? Do you think its possible to be used for macro work? Horizontal or vertical setup?

Fortunately I have access to a lathe so I can modify it accordingly.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'm thinking
1) a great coarse focus adjuster
2) a cool macro timelapse base.
Chris R

elf

Post by elf »

It all depends on the accuracy of the leadscrew and nut. The unsupported end of the leadscrew leads me to believe that it may not be as accurate as it could be.

It's probably long enough to add a subject stage at the unsupported end. You could drive it with the main leadscrew using halfnuts or add a smaller leadscrew through the end.

Mount it on a 750mm long by 75mm thick piece of granite for a nice stable setup.

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

Easy enough to pin the loose end.
Fred H.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic