NIKON Optiphot Universal BD Plan Epi-Illuminator

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you so much JW. I thought as much but it is good to get a second opinion.

Best

John

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I have an original manual for the Universal epi-illuminator which came with my Labophot 2.
I can scan this for you if it's of any use.

Diogenes

Smokedaddy

Re: NIKON Optiphot Universal BD Plan Epi-Illuminator

Post by Smokedaddy »

Diogenes wrote:I have an original manual for the Universal epi-illuminator which came with my Labophot 2.

Diogenes
I would love to have a copy!

Thanks,
-JW:

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Do post it here please Diogenes!!!

Thank you

John

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I'd love to.........but how? It's 10 pages and each page scans as a jpeg, and each jpeg is over the 300kb limit.

Diogenes

Smokedaddy

Re: NIKON Optiphot Universal BD Plan Epi-Illuminator

Post by Smokedaddy »

Diogenes wrote:I have an original manual for the Universal epi-illuminator which came with my Labophot 2.

Diogenes
Thanks for taking the time to scan this. Guess I should of read you posting better. This isn't what I was looking for.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

JH wrote:Hi JW

What is the chance that you can take the 'cover plate' off that rotating polarizer so I can see how it works mechanically and then photograph the entire slider? I'd like to machine one since they rarely come up for sale on eBay. That's the only thing I am missing other than 2 filters.

Speaking of filters, I have the L900C, IF, NCB10 and ND16. What are the other 2 in you picture?

Regards,
-JW:

JH

Post by JH »

Smokedaddy wrote:
JH wrote:Hi JW

What is the chance that you can take the 'cover plate' off that rotating polarizer so I can see how it works mechanically and then photograph the entire slider? I'd like to machine one since they rarely come up for sale on eBay. That's the only thing I am missing other than 2 filters.

Speaking of filters, I have the L900C, IF, NCB10 and ND16. What are the other 2 in you picture?

Regards,
-JW:
Hi
It was quite expensive so I rather not pick it apart as long as it works.

The labels of my filters are:
GIF
ND2
ND16
NCB 10
NCB 14 (two of the same)

As the polarizer/analyzer is quite expensive, and it is probably not so difficult to make your own polarizer and analyzer it may be a good idea to try to make your own. I suggest that you have a fixed polarizer attached to the plastic filter marked ND 32 that you already have. Then you can have a "loose" polarizing filter in the "dust-tight slider" - gravity will keep a "loose" polarising filter in plase and it will be quite easy to take it out and rotate the filter.

Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks, no problem if you are not comfortable removing the cover plate, I totally understand. Thanks for listing the filters too. I have the analyzer slider and the full wave red plate compensator, just missing the rotating polarizer. I made a spacer for the thinner full wave plate to take up the slop since I don't have the rotating polarizer. I ended up placing a 1 3/8" polarizer disk in the illuminator slot and rotating it by hand.

You want to try something fun, you should try putting back the aperture blades in a condenser or fixing the the ones that are in the illuminator. Once you know how it really isn't that big of a deal.

Image below was done with Zerene with all alignments disabled.

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JH

Post by JH »

Smokedaddy wrote:
You want to try something fun, you should try putting back the aperture blades in a condenser or fixing the the ones that are in the illuminator. Once you know how it really isn't that big of a deal.
Actually - It was fixing some loose illuminator aperture blades that made me more careful than curious. The effect will probably last a few month :D

Nice picture!

Best regards Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic