f-200 and it`s mean.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

All Ex

f-200 and it`s mean.

Post by All Ex »

I recently bought a Mitutoyo 5x and in its specifications says that f=200
I know that it will certainly work at its maximum magnification if I attached it on my Ai MF Nikon 200mm lens. My question is that if I achieve that distance from my sensor (estimating 10mm for the eyepiece ) with a hollow M42 tube (without attaching any lens in between that distance) will it work?

:?:
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

That f=200 indicates the tube lens focal length at which it provides the nominal 5X magnification. You could modify the magnification by means of longer or shorter lenses.
It is not equivalent to the mechanical tube length in finite corrected microscopes.

Without tube lens, being a low magnification and modest NA objective it will work but likely with somewhat lower quality.
Pau

MacroLab3D

Post by MacroLab3D »

Thanks, Pau!

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

My one has NA 0.13 and I`m thinking to give it a try with a tube (M42) as the distance objective-sensor would be 200mm.
My objective is infinity corrected.
As well I`m thinking in the future to attach it on a cheap 200mm (M42).
I asked because I`ve already made 2 tube lenses one with a Raynox 250 RDC and one with Gerogon 150mmj, that they both seem to work OK.
Thanks Pau for your lights.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic