Thoughts on the Leica APO macro elmarit 100mm f/2.8?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Davids

Thoughts on the Leica APO macro elmarit 100mm f/2.8?

Post by Davids »

I know this lens has been highly lauded in other forums and review sites but I'm curious as to how others on this site feel about the lens? I'm considering purchasing one to be used for both field and studio photography. Examples using this lens are always much appreciated! Thanks
Last edited by Davids on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wpo

Post by wpo »

Hello Davids,

I own this lens and believe me - it is a marvelous lens in the range between infinity and 1:2 (1:1 with its attached ELPRO) but it is not the best choice for extreme macro because its excellent image quality drops down if you try to enlarge the distance between camerabody and objective bayonet socket respectively back lens of objektive. If you do so and enlarge the distance only about 10-15mm you will see the dropfall of image quality in critical subjects. If you enlarge more you will get more and more loss of sharpness.

I purchased this lens years ago for my Leica photographic equipment. Because of the discontinuation of the R-System I switched to Nikon four years ago and sold my Leica R bodies, but I still use my Leica Apo lenses (and bellows etc.) with Leitax bayonets on the Nikon D4s and D700. The Leica Apo Macro Elmarit 2,8/100mm would be the very last lens to sell.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic