Which Flashes for Studio Macro?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Which Flashes for Studio Macro?

Post by Deanimator »

I'm planning ahead for when I'm working again and can afford to spend money on macro photography.

I'm looking to get a couple of wireless flashes (and controller) for off-camera use when focus stacking.

Given all of the issues with Yongnuo, I'm looking at Flashpoint (Adorama branded Godox) flashes, which seem to have a good reputation. This, combined with my good experience with Adorama make this look like the best choice.

These flashes will ONLY be used on manual at low power for focus stacking in a studio environment. I've already got a Sigma flash for ETTL.

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for which Flashpoint flashes and controller I need?

It shouldn't matter, but I'm using a Canon T4i.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I went with the Adorama (Godox) strobes and switched from Yognuno to Adorama speedlights because of RF compatibility with strobes. Haven't used the speedlights for macro work though, but they seem well done and I suspect should be fine for macro use.

I use AC powered strobes for macro because normally I have very large stacks (200~400) sometimes many repeated sessions in a row, and the battery drain for speedlights is too much.

Best,

Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:I went with the Adorama (Godox) strobes and switched from Yognuno to Adorama speedlights because of RF compatibility with strobes. Haven't used the speedlights for macro work though, but they seem well done and I suspect should be fine for macro use.

I use AC powered strobes for macro because normally I have very large stacks (200~400) sometimes many repeated sessions in a row, and the battery drain for speedlights is too much.

Best,

Mike
Having neither a microscope objective nor a Stackshot (yet), my stacks should be fewer in number (especially if I override DSLR Controller's suggestions). The flashes should work. I had this combination suggested to me, which seems reasonable:
https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzm.html
https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2t32c.html
I'll be getting two of the flashes.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I'm sure will work fine. Might want to consider what type of strobes you will be getting and get the compatible RF trigger system that's also compatible with your camera system.

Best,

Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:I'm sure will work fine. Might want to consider what type of strobes you will be getting and get the compatible RF trigger system that's also compatible with your camera system.

Best,

Mike
I don't have any immediate plans for strobes, although I suppose that's something to take into account.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic