micromanipulator

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

micromanipulator

Post by Smokedaddy »

I purchased this on eBay with the intention of using it as a micromanipulator for diatoms. It didn't cost much so it won't be a big loss if it doesn't work out but looked as if it would work fine. I was hoping for some input from those that have been using a micromanipulator on what to use for the actual glass tube and how to adapted it to this device?

Update: I have done some reading on pulling the glass and Micropipette pullers but still would like a few suggestions on how to mount the glass needle once pulled like in some sort of micro chuck like used in a drill?

-JW:

Beatsy

Re: micromanipulator

Post by Beatsy »

Smokedaddy wrote:...would like a few suggestions on how to mount the glass needle once pulled like in some sort of micro chuck like used in a drill?
I just straighten out a fat paper clip and slide it down the inside of the hollow needle. Put a slight bend in the end of the wire and it springs tight against the inside walls of the tube. Attach the other end of the wire to the manipulator as required. New needles can simply be slid on and off.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I use a brass rod attached to the end of the manipulator and then a hypodermic needle hub attached to the rod. The pulled glass needle slides over or in the hypodermic needle...depending on size of hypodermic needle and size of pulled glass needle. To hold the glass needle, I use a couple grains of sugar and a drop of water and let it dry. To remove the needle another drop of water to dissolve the sugar. Image

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks ... any suggestions on hypodermic needle gauge 'size'? How about the glass size, type of glass (Quartz glass etc.) and where to purchase?

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Open to suggestions on my last question?

-JW:

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

The needle shown in the picture is a 21 gauge needle which fit nicely inside a standard capillary tube. The glass needle was pulled from capillary tubes. All can be obtained on ebay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic