DIN objective for Meiji ML5000 question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Thomas Ashcraft

DIN objective for Meiji ML5000 question

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

I have a Meiji ML 5000 microscope that according to the manual uses DIN objectives. I am looking to get a 5x objective to use mostly for darkfield pond water work. When I look at objectives on ebay they seldom say if the objective is DIN or not. Can I assume that most modern objectives from Japanese and German companies will fit my Meiji? Aside from DIN, is there another way to tell if thread size is suitable?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thomas

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

DIN standard objectives have RMS mount, 45mm parfocal distance and are corrected for 160mm tube length. Most objectives labeled 160/ are DIN except old ones that can be shorter than 45mm parfocal.
Another question is the color correction: some objectives are "full" corrected not needing compensating eyepieces while others do need them. I don't know what's the Meiji case.
The one tested in this thread seems a good inexpensive option: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 704#212704
Pau

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

According to the brochure here:
http://meijitechno.com/meiji_old/pdfs/C ... %20PDF.PDF

your microscopes uses, as Pau mentioned, 160mm finite, 45mm parfocal objectives ("DIN"). The ML5000 comes with KHW10X objectives, which are (as indicated by the "K" in the designation) corrective eyepieces. If these are what you have then it would be best to used the Meiji 4X or 5X made for this scope. These product numbers MA611, MA612 and MA690 would be appropriate (see in brochure). A quick search shows you can get one of these for about $50.The objective referenced in the thread Pau gave looks to be a real bargain, but it is hard to say how well it would match up with your eyepieces. My guess is that it would not be troublesome, but if I could find one of the Meiji ones I would go with that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic