Hover fly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

royalwinchester

Hover fly

Post by royalwinchester »

Canon MP-E on Sony A7rII

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Good! But it must be a bit challenging to use a Canon lens on a Sony body, yes?
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

royalwinchester

Actually, I only bought the Sony to have a body I could use many various brands of lenses on! My primary gear is all Nikon, but I have this Canon lens, and a slew of old Sony and Pentax manual focus lenses from my father's old collection that I can use with adapters on the Sony mirrorless. I also sometimes shoot my Nikon wide angle lenses since my Nikon cameras are all crop sensors.

-Royal

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Good to see the eye-hairs preserved, they so often disappear if stacked.

MP-E on A7rii is a great setup! The lens fully utilises the Sony's 42 megapixel sensor and is sharp to the edges on FF. I highly recommend the combo. I found a relatively cheap 2nd hand MT24-EX twin flash for mine too (for hand-held field macro). No TTL of course, only manual, but it works better than you'd expect. I kept a Canon 5D MkII body for this purpose after switching to Sony, but found I didn't need it. The Sony is far better in terms of image quality and ergonomics in the field (tilt screen) and is a worthwhile trade-off for having to use manual flash settings IMO. Bye bye Canon.

royalwinchester

Thanks Beatsy!

I do find the eye hairs are usually lost, so I was happy with this shot. However, to be perfectly honest, right after I posted this I saw your hover fly, which was so much better in every way! Contrast, lighting, pose, everything! I just posted a shot of a house fly just trying to get closer to your results! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic