Basic Microscope Objective Rig

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Basic Microscope Objective Rig

Post by Deanimator »

With any luck, I'll be working again in a few weeks.

With that in mind, I've been considering what it would take to do an elementary microscope objective rig.

My current equipment:
  • Canon EOS T4i
  • Tokina 100mm macro lens
  • ProMaster (Tamron) 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens
  • ProMaster extension tubes with contacts
  • Generic extension tubes w/o contacts
  • Generic two axis macro slider
  • Sigma EF500 DG Super ETTL flash
  • Table mounted camera mount
  • Three articulated arm lamps with 300w equivalent CFLs.
  • ASUS Zen 8 tablet
  • DSLR Controller software for Android
  • Combine ZP
Using conventional camera lenses, I'm using the tablet and DSLR Controller for focus stacking. Obviously, that won't work with a tube lens and a microscope objective. Clearly, manual focus stacking with the slider could quickly become very laborious (and imprecise).

Is there a basic setup that a beginner could put together, or is it something that's going to be a hefty investment?

What's a good basic setup for 5-10x for somebody on a tight budget? I've seen a lot of information, but not that much for somebody:
  1. just starting out.
  2. with limited resources.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Your gear overlaps, but this is somewhere near, perhaps -
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 233#203233

You can use your 100mm in place of the shorter (125mm) Raynox -you probably would get some vignetting. OK, crop the corners off!
300mm is a bit long, 200 is more useful. Your zoom might be OK, otherwise the 208mm Raynox is as cheap as other solutions.

You can use tethering and your tablet to a point, though the range it'll be good for may be limited.
Up to 10x, hand cranking the focus isn't too big a problem. It's a few minutes. If you're there, you can check the flash hasn't misfired, etc. It'll take you a lot longer to set up the shot.

the shorter Raynox on your 100mm should get you to 2x or so.
Combine ZP runs on a tablet?? Didn't know that.
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:Combine ZP runs on a tablet?? Didn't know that.
No, it doesn't.

I use DSLR Controller on the tablet to control the camera. I have a card reader on my PC. I pull the card from the camera when I'm done and process the images on my main PC using Photoshop Elements and Combine ZP.

Thanks for your other suggestions.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

For studio work you can directly control the camera and download the images to the computer via USB with Canon Utilities (free with any EOS DSLR).
I find it very convenient
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:For studio work you can directly control the camera and download the images to the computer via USB with Canon Utilities (free with any EOS DSLR).
I find it very convenient
I had considered that, but unfortunately, I don't have a Windows laptop and my PC is on the other side of the apartment.

Of the Linux compatible applications, one explicitly discourages use on 32 bit Linux systems like my laptop, and crashed without fail within seconds of trying to use it. The other was also unstable, albeit not nearly as spectacularly so.

Given the choice of buying a new laptop (which I do not otherwise need) or buying a tablet and using DSLR Controller, the latter was the obvious choice. Apart from the occasional temporary loss of connectivity, I've been extremely happy with the combination of DSLR Controller and the tablet. That ASUS Zen 8 has a much smaller footprint than a laptop would and was at least $60 cheaper than even a low end 64 bit Win10 laptop.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

?? Wireless SD card and OTG adapter??
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:?? Wireless SD card and OTG adapter??
The tablet is a much handier solution that can be used whenever the camera's on a mount or tripod. It's really the best, most versatile solution.

johan

Post by johan »

I started with one flash, a 2nd-hand reversed enlarger lens from eBay and a Velbon slider. I was perfectly happy with that for the first year or so
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

What I mean is, keeping the tablet, can you plug a wi-fi card & adapter into the tablet, and have it transmit the files straight to the stacking pc? (If not leaving it in the camera? )
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:What I mean is, keeping the tablet, can you plug a wi-fi card & adapter into the tablet, and have it transmit the files straight to the stacking pc? (If not leaving it in the camera? )
It's got WiFi built into it.

It's no problem for me to just pull the memory card and walk it over to the PC. I'd still have to go there to process the files anyway.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Zerene will watch a folder for you I believe - I haven't used that.
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:Zerene will watch a folder for you I believe - I haven't used that.
My macro priorities:
  1. permanent macro table
  2. dual manual flashes and wireless controller
  3. Zerene
  4. Stackshot or something similar
  5. microscope objective

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I've been experimenting on the cheap. This Image was taken with a Lomo 8x £7.99 off ebay. The rig is a converted old Vickers microscope that had bit missing, £25 antiques centre. 2x Ikea lights and I can if required get 0.01mm increments. All manual of course but woks ok for me. still working things out

The top of a wasps head

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

gremlin wrote:I've been experimenting on the cheap. This Image was taken with a Lomo 8x £7.99 off ebay. The rig is a converted old Vickers microscope that had bit missing, £25 antiques centre. 2x Ikea lights and I can if required get 0.01mm increments. All manual of course but woks ok for me. still working things out
That's very nice.

Can you post a picture of your rig? I'm not 100% clear on what you did.

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

here are my two microscope conversions. The first on was to use microfilm lenses, is a very old unit. The large round part is a dial gauge so i can get even increments. A M42 tube has been bonded on and this is what i have done to the lenses.
The second one has been left for microscope objectives. M42 extension tubes can be swapped out to change the magnification, control any vignetting. Just working on getting the base light unit to work as i think this could give some nice background lighting with some coloured glass filters i have.
It's all experimental but seems to be working. I just set the interval timer on the camera to 2 seconds, number of frames then move the fine focus dial after each shot, so it really doesn't take long and the microscopes are heavily constructed that i don't get any vibration.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic