Bee larvae

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davidholmes

Bee larvae

Post by davidholmes »

I opened our hive yesterday to find about twelve sealed queen cells when last week I couldn't see any contents in the swarm cells (probably needed to look harder!) but luckily the original queen was still there. Quickly started swarm control by moving the brood up to a new box on top of the hive and leaving the queen with old empty drawn comb in the original brood box so hopefully she will think she has already swarmed. (Demaree method of swarm control)

I removed the queen cells to reduce the likelihood of more trouble but these were quite interesting to open up.

This has a developing queen in one cell, a queen larva on a bed of royal jelly an a normal worker larva (collateral damage)

This is a developing queen larva lying in the opened up cell. The cells are remarkably tough to cut with a knife or scissors.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Remarkable images. I am particularly taken by the second one. Thanks for posting!

Leonard Turner

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Fascinating! I had taken a bee keeping class a century ago, and it was an extraordinary experience.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Very interesting and nice images! Thank you for sharing.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

The second image is breathtaking!

thanks for sharing.

Anvancy
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic