A fly - using DMAP

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

A fly - using DMAP

Post by Beatsy »

Nothing particularly special here - just another test shot of yet another "not quick enough" fly.

I posted in "techniques" because (for me) the image is more about getting DMAP to work acceptably on a hairy subject, at last. I much prefer the colour and contrast rendition from DMAP but it usually comes with a heavy artifact burden on all but the flattest and/or smoothest of subjects.

This still needed retouching from a pmax stack too, but far less than usual. It's possibly the best DMAP result I've managed to date in terms of image quality. Downsizing from 42 megapixels to 1024 pixels wide helped a a lot of course, (hiding remaining artefacts), but using a smaller aperture than usual improved things quite a lot too (MP-E 65mm @ f6.3, 2.5x on FF sensor, 80 images @ 100um spacing).

Does anyone else use DMAP for hairy critters? Any more tips for getting better results and reducing the retouch workload?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic