Nikon D810

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Nikon D810

Post by mtuell »

I was wondering if anybody has actually tried out a D810 for micro/extreme-macro photography? A quick search of the forum has a few references to it, but I don't see right away that anybody has actually got one...

I've got a D3300 at the moment, so this would be an upgrade in pixel count, sensor size, and includes EFCS.

Thanks!
Mike

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I have a D810; fantastic camera.
I believe it is discontinued, being replaced with D820.

This fly with the D810; note: 36.200 actuations and no oil spots on sensor (I had a D600 which was plagued with oil spots from day 1)

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33765
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Thanks for the info! It doesn't look like the D820 is released yet - maybe I'll wait...

Mike

svalley

Post by svalley »

I have a D810, but I am just getting started using it for stacking. I love the camera and think it is performing well (mostly) in my early stacking tests.

It takes an enormous amount of time to convert my raw files to tiff and then stacking in Zerene. The tiffs are 211Mb each, so be ready for that.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

svalley wrote:I have a D810, but I am just getting started using it for stacking. I love the camera and think it is performing well (mostly) in my early stacking tests.

It takes an enormous amount of time to convert my raw files to tiff and then stacking in Zerene. The tiffs are 211Mb each, so be ready for that.
I use a D800 and D800E and found that saving the file as TIFF in the camera saves lots of time, no conversion necessary. I use a D500 now for most stacking (smaller pixel size), EFCS and it saves in TIFF very quickly. The D800 was slower but I used the TIFF write time as part of the settling time for the stacking fixture, by moving the camera lens assembly while the TIFF file was being written.

Best,

Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Mike does the D500 cycle the mirror in its implementation of EFCS?

(I was looking at one yesterday. I asked its user if it kept the useful exposure +/- button on top - sadly an awkward function to get to get to on my Canons. "I don't know", he said, "I never used it" :shock: )
Chris R

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

RE:time to process D810 RAW files
Just imaged a slide with using a 4x obj.saved in-camera.

Moved 46 frames, each 1.69 MB to computer HD: less than 1 minute

Opened in Adobe Bridge CS6; NEF files each 38.3 MB: less than 1 minute for 46 'thumbnail extractions'

selected 14 frames and opened in Camera Raw: instantaneous.
(I always start way-out of focus and end way-out of focus, thus only 14 useable frames out of 46!)

selected all 14 and processed; rotate, straighten, crop, white balance, curves, clarify: all instantaneous

saved as .tif in PS, 14 frames each 69.9 MB: 48 seconds

processed in Zerene, 45 seconds to get a PMax and a PMax UDR
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ChrisR wrote:Mike does the D500 cycle the mirror in its implementation of EFCS?

(I was looking at one yesterday. I asked its user if it kept the useful exposure +/- button on top - sadly an awkward function to get to get to on my Canons. "I don't know", he said, "I never used it" :shock: )
Chris,

I'm on the west coast this week, so can't check until I return. My memory isn't so good so I'll wait until I return before speculating :roll:

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic