Flocking questions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Flocking questions

Post by Beatsy »

First, can anyone tell me where to get decent self-adhesive flocking paper in the UK? I used mine up for various things and can't locate any more. Both places I got it from before no longer have any stock (an ebay seller and a telescope shop).

The reason I need more is that I'm now trying Raynox tube lenses as an alternative to M42 primes with my Mitties. Without flocking the tubes, the DCR-150 (210mm) is currently useless. It causes a bright patch covering the centre quarter of the frame - or so. However, the DCR 250 (125mm) seems to work OK at lower powers (5x, 10x and 20x Mitties), but I think it's showing some veiling flare in the centre with a 50x. For example, the centre of this picture looks slightly "hazy" and less distinct to me - does it to you? Not sure if it's just the subject though. It was done with the 50x Mitty and DCR 250 (30x). Next pic is just for context, taken with a 5x Mitty (3x). That one seems OK. Both stacks were shot with the camera in APS-C crop mode.

So my final question is what kind of artefacts does lack of flocking usually cause? Glare and bright spots I understand, but can it also cause apparent loss of resolution and/or sharpness?

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Steve,

Edmund has various sizes, both adhesive backed and plain.

https://www.edmundoptics.co.uk/lab-prod ... 1483121673

Not sure about your second question, but certainly glare which is uniform would translate to less contrast, even if there aren't any local flares.

Good luck,
Mike

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Mike, I never thought to look at Edmund. I tend to instinctively avoid them because of their "robust" pricing. Might have to make an exception this time though. Is this a known "good" flocking (fibres on end rather than just matt paper)?

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Yes, I believe it is real flocking. You can contact them and ask. They may even part with a sample...

Thorlabs has various options,too.

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... oup_id=190

Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I have an old roll of quite cheap Fablon, which is black and fuzzy. It's not quite as dull as Protostar, but I've found it generally useful. You'd need to find some to look at (Homebase?) because I'm not sure which of the online descriptions of "felt", "velour" , or "baize" applies.
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I purchased a 150" x 24" wide 0.040" mini roll of Protostar flock board a few weeks ago, for a 6" f/20 telescope I'm putting together. Protostar sells internationally. They also sell the peel-n-stick self-adhesive backing. If I had some self-adhesive I'd send you some.

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/hitack.htm

-JW:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

To get that $100 roll over here would cost just over double, by the time shipping and import duties are added. It's - annoying !
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

You don't have to buy a roll ... you can buy 15" x 24" piece. plus I bet he would even cut that in half. I bought a 24" x 24 piece but it's not here yet.

-W:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Shipping and duty on that would be over $40.
:evil:
Chris R

johan

Post by johan »

sent you a pm Beatsy
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:Shipping and duty on that would be over $40.
:evil:
What if I sent a piece say 8" wide and 10" long piece in a mailer? Never mind, I just looked it up, Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope to UK was $32.95. <crazy> Still not bad considering a 24"x24" piece shipped to me is $22.00 (meaning if I sent him a free remnant from my piece).

-JW:

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

And, I'm pretty sure he would have to pay some duty for the post to actually deliver it... better off getting it locally, for sure!

Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

But we can't get it locally!

USPS has become a major pain for shipping US to UK.
The cost has multiplied in recent years.

The "4 pound fixed price" small box was $10 not long ago.
USPS direct you away from the cheaper options.

First Class International for 6 ounces here
https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/Ma ... =1&p=0&o=6
$6.97 should work.

We have to pay duty on pretty much everything not declared a "gift".

(Declared Value + postage ) x 1.2
plus an "inspection fee" of about $13.

So a $10 Protostar (they charge minimum $24 shipping) item costs us
((10 + 24) x 1.2) + 13
=$53 :evil:

Unless someone puts it in an envelope and calls it a gift..
Then it's $17. :)
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Gifts don't work either. Had to pay £16 duty on a box of chocolates sent from Canada as a christmas present - even though it was marked as a gift and arrived late december. I could have told FedEx to shove it up their proverbial as I had no contract or commitment with them, but then I understand they chase the sender instead. So I paid up. Very grudgingly.

HMRC has got utterly rabid over the past few months too - everything gets stopped and taxed, then Royal Mail add another fixed £8 "handling fee" on top. And you have to go and pick up the parcel yourself if you don't want a further 3-day wait.

Makes me spit. Tax is theft!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Must have been expensive chocolates:
if the value of the gifts in the consignment (not including shipping and insurance costs) does not exceed £34 and the customs declaration is correct, duty and VAT will not be paid on the gifts.

From https://www.dutycalculator.com/help_cen ... on-a-gift/
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic