Nikon D90 using usb and shutter/focus connector together?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

arby

Nikon D90 using usb and shutter/focus connector together?

Post by arby »

Hi

I'm using a laptop connected to my D90 with Digicam software. Its convenient because it gives me a large live view which helps with focusing and as a bonus automatically saves the images to the Laptop hard drive, but stacking is manual, click the capture button move the stage by hand etc.

I'd like to use my Arduino based stepper controller to automate things which has focus/flash outputs. When it is the only thing connected to the camera it works fine, fires shutter and flash fires.

As soon as I use the usb to connect the laptop the shutter/focus port on the camera seems to be disabled. Is there any way to use the two together I've overlooked?

The other option would be to use the Nikons hdmi port into a TV/Monitor maybe?

Does anyone else use an external viewing setup?

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I use my D90 with an HDMI connection to a 19" Sharp TV; gives very good live view.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

arby

Post by arby »

NikonUser wrote:I use my D90 with an HDMI connection to a 19" Sharp TV; gives very good live view.
Don't have a spare TV with hdmi but found the AV out from the nikon works with an old monitor I had gathering dust.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D90 using usb and shutter/focus connector together

Post by rjlittlefield »

arby wrote:As soon as I use the usb to connect the laptop the shutter/focus port on the camera seems to be disabled. Is there any way to use the two together I've overlooked?
I don't know anything about Digicam, but in Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 there is a checkbox labeled "Enable Controls on Camera Body". I assume this is a setting that has to get sent along to the camera to control its firmware.

--Rik

arby

Post by arby »

Thanks guys,

Here's where I am currently at, certainly beats hand cranking the stage. Am quite pleased at the results for such a budget setup, though I think an additional support under the tubes is needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic