Printing Nikkor vs Schneider Macro Varon?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yes, I believe that Sony developed it for PhaseOne.
nathanm

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

nathanm wrote:The Linos spec claims it resolves up to 200 lp/mm (i.e. 5 microns) at the sensor.

http://www.qioptiq-shop.com/out/Graphic ... 9135_0.pdf
I don't see that.

The quote that I see is on the top of page 6. It says "..an enormous resolution of up to 200 lp/mm in the object plane". (Emphasis added.)

Where should I be looking for "at the sensor"?

BTW, I do see words about "perfect match with 5 µm pixel size", but that's not the same as resolving 200 lp/mm (which would be the Nyquist limit at 5 µm).

--Rik

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

you are right, I misread it... but they are recommending it for the Dalsa Pirana 12K line sensor with 5 micron pixels....
nathanm

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've been looking for a 75PN for a long time, to no avail. It was designed for 1:4/4:1 transfers, so I guess this means printing Super-8 to 35mm or vice-versa, though it has an image circle of 64mm. I would be very curious to know if anyone here has such a beast, or has ever seen or used one. Here are the specs:

Like the other PNs, it might have the definitive performance near its optimum. Of course it can't beat a Plan Apo 4x 0.2 in the center, but for LF imaging it might be just the ticket, with f12.6 effective at M=3.5.

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I have not seen a 75PN

However, I just looked at the rayfact web site to see if they have a modern version. They only seem to have the PN95 and PN105.

But they do have some other amazing lenses

This lens is a 116mm f/2.5, designed for 3X to 5X, with an aberration adjustment ring like the macro varon

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/produ ... riable.htm

This lists the PN95 and PN105 modern replacements - they mention "eco-glass", which implies that the original PN lenses used some type of glass not in production for ecological reasons? Anybody know about that?

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/produ ... /index.htm

There is a 127mm f/2.4 rayfact lens which is optimized for 3.5X.

This PDF has several other lenses, including some really long and heavy telecentric lenses

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/produ ... Ver4.0.pdf

Does anybody know how one would buy these lenses new? Is there a US distributor? I emailed the Japanese site and have not heard back.

Tochigi-Nikon seems to be a subsidiary of Nikon, but I can't find mention of these products on the Nikon USA web site.
nathanm

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

It looks like this company in Oregon is the exclusive US distributor https://www.daitron.com/machine-vision-lenses
nathanm

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Tochigi is Nikon's original industrial lens manufacturing site. I believe all the EL-Nikkor, Macro-Nikkor, Printing-Nikkor, Repro-Nikkor, Fax-Nikkor, Com-Nikkor, UV-Nikkor, and other industrial lenses were made there. Nikon split it off as a wholly-owned subsidiary in the 90's (?? not sure about exact timing) and they started producing lenses under the "RayFact" brand. I earlier thought that the microscope objectives were also made there but I don't believe this to be the case, but I don't know where they are made.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

nathanm wrote:I have not seen a 75PN

However, I just looked at the rayfact web site to see if they have a modern version. They only seem to have the PN95 and PN105.

But they do have some other amazing lenses

This lens is a 116mm f/2.5, designed for 3X to 5X, with an aberration adjustment ring like the macro varon

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/produ ... riable.htm

This lists the PN95 and PN105 modern replacements - they mention "eco-glass", which implies that the original PN lenses used some type of glass not in production for ecological reasons? Anybody know about that?

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/produ ... /index.htm

There is a 127mm f/2.4 rayfact lens which is optimized for 3.5X.

This PDF has several other lenses, including some really long and heavy telecentric lenses

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/produ ... Ver4.0.pdf

Does anybody know how one would buy these lenses new? Is there a US distributor? I emailed the Japanese site and have not heard back.

Tochigi-Nikon seems to be a subsidiary of Nikon, but I can't find mention of these products on the Nikon USA web site.
Tochigi-Nikon/RayFact used to have the 75PN (or equivalent part number in the new scheme) listed on the website a few years ago, but it is no longer there. They do have a lot more lenses now than they did 5 years ago, so it looks like they have an active design staff supporting industrial lens customers.

My understanding is that the "A" version lenses already incorporated design and materials changes to remove lanthanum and other rare earth / prohibited materials from the PN series. The "A" lenses are a complete redesign vs the earlier models, with more elements and higher complexity. This must have been required to achieve the performance without the use of the exotic materials. I've owned both an "old" 95PN and an "A" 95PN, and the old one was significantly heavier. I have never owned an "old" 105PN, but based on the performance curves it seems the "A" version is actually a bit better than the original. For sure the "A" version of the 95PN is superior in my tests.

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Well, I finally got information about the Rayfact 2x-5x lens.

It is quite a beast. Because it is 116mm, at 2X it needs 248 mm from lens flange to sensor. At 5X it needs 600mm. So this is going to be a really long set up - I need to build a new camera/bellows/stage.

But, as a result it has a correspondingly huge working distance - 117 mm at 2X and 79mm at 5X. So easy lighting.

Because the image circle is so big (86 mm) I could potentially shift a camera within the image circle to stitch.

Not so easy to afford. I have been quoted $16,800.

But I have ordered one nonetheless. My gallery just opened and I am optimistic. I will post on it once it arrives and I have some experience with it.

Meanwhile the eBay rayfact and Linos lenses have yet to arrive...
nathanm

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

nathanm wrote: ...
Not so easy to afford. I have been quoted $16,800.

But I have ordered one nonetheless. My gallery just opened and I am optimistic. I will post on it once it arrives and I have some experience with it.

Meanwhile the eBay rayfact and Linos lenses have yet to arrive...
That's a lot more than I expected the lens would cost. Hopefully it lives up to expectations, and I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the results you achieve with it.

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yes, I was surprised too.... we will see if it is worth it!
nathanm

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

nathanm wrote:I have been quoted $16,800.

Do you have an oil-well :D

Just kidding but it is a very expensive lens, I wish it is worth it.
Regards.
Omer

harisA

Post by harisA »

Speaking of exotic and expensive lenses i remembered about a rather unusual duplicate lens i acquired several years ago .It is a massive piece of glass weighing 750gr and having a 50mm diameter front element.
These were made by Melles griot for oxberry film duplicating machines (This was found inside a 3100 machine and is probably a 63mm lens).It has a 16 blades iris and a aperture range from 2.8 to 5.6. Melles griot P/N is 39940.Unfortunately there is no information about them.
A rough test using this lens reversed reveals a big image circle with a magnification about 1.5-2.5x.

This is with the apo rodagon d 75mm 1x to give you a sense of size.

Sorry if this is a bit offtopic.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

nathanm wrote:.......

I read some time ago and I don't remember where, maybe Canon's website, that all the glass manufacturers had to move to lead and arsenic free glass to meet EU standards. Eventually everyone had to change designs that used the more specialized glass once the old supply of glass ran out.

Congrats on your new Rayfact. You know you should make an unboxing video Nathan. How many people would ever have access to even see a piece of glass like that.

Heck I would volunteer to stop by and man the camera! :-)

Robert

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

The eco-glass makes sense in that context.

Apparently the Rayfact is made to order so it will take 8 weeks. So don't hold your breath on the unboxing video.

The quite different Rayfact from eBay arrived and I will try check it out this weekend.
nathanm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic