Can a Canon lens + camera match this?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Can a Canon lens + camera match this?

Post by davholla »

I am a great fan of looking at other people's photos on flickr.
This photo to me with a GX80 and Olympus 60 mm Macro + Raynox 250 using panasonic's post focus seems better than anything anyone can do with a Canon lens what do people think? How would you do this?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/achimowl/ ... 81/in/feed

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Why not?. I can see a good quality picture but nothing really extraordinary.

Here at PMG.net we are not very comfortable with brand fans wars, we usually prefer to discuss about specific technical features, of course without avoiding brand differences.
Pau

davholla

Post by davholla »

Pau wrote:Why not?. I can see a good quality picture but nothing really extraordinary.
I am not sure I agree taking a stack of moving subjects like that is quite trick and something that the Post Focus of panasonic makes easier. I can take so so stacks with my Canon but not of moving subjects like this
ImageEF7A988-8froghopper by davholla2002, on Flickr
Pau wrote:
Here at PMG.net we are not very comfortable with brand fans wars, we usually prefer to discuss about specific technical features, of course without avoiding brand differences.
I agree I should have said that I am a Canon owner and would like to do the same.
(If I had taken this photo I would never have started this thread and don't know the person who did).

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks for the follow-up.
I was not aware of this 4K Panasonic feature, it seems very nice, weird that Panasonic doesn't comment about its stacking usefulness.
Some Oly bodies do allow to take stacks at full resolution, it could be even nicer to have (why not to have both?)
Pau

davholla

Post by davholla »

Pau wrote:Thanks for the follow-up.
I was not aware of this 4K Panasonic feature, it seems very nice, weird that Panasonic doesn't comment about its stacking usefulness.
Some Oly bodies do allow to take stacks at full resolution, it could be even nicer to have (why not to have both?)
Perhaps stacking is not a big market - then again if it were easier then there would be more of it.

johan

Post by johan »

It'd be great if you started a topic and explained what this post focus thing is, and why it's useful for stacking.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

davholla

Post by davholla »

Sorry here is an explanation
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/12445 ... on-feature

And another for how it works for stacking
http://learnmacro.com/focus-stacking-in ... sonic-gh4/

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Short answer - no Canon can't, do exactly that. Olympus have their methods. Canon and Nikon are a bit behind the bleeding edge of technology in their compact system cameras. Sony, Fuji - dunno?

I have a 1" sensor fixed lens compact (TZ100) which can do the trick, but it's hard to add a Raynox - no filter threads. Poor excuse I know - I have cardboard tube..

I haven't checked the latest numbers. If/when we can use High MP at 60 fps, and just move slowly (if the camera won't do it for us), then live subject photography has new possibilities.
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The key ingredient here is to record 4K video while sweeping focus at some appropriate rate.

It sounds to me like Panasonic has the focus sweep integrated into their camera controls. That's a very nice touch, as is their providing software with a nice GUI to extract individual frames.

With Canon, I think you would have to do the focus sweep by hand while recording video.

That requires some training, but I suspect it's not terribly difficult. When I first received my Canon T1i, back in 2009, the very first video I shot with it was a focus stack of my living room. That worked fine, but of course at only HD the image quality was not great. There are now several Canon and Nikon bodies that would get around that limitation.

Extracting still frames for stacking can be done with Photoshop, or with ffmpeg as described at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 378#206378, or if you're using Helicon Focus then recent versions include the ability to load a video file into the GUI and have ffmpeg run automatically to extract images for stacking.

--Rik

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Doesn't Lou's Olympus Pen F allows in-camera focus bracketing at full photo resolution? In theory, that is higher resolution than 4k video captures, correct?

Stacked images produced by Panasonic 4k video look very good though. I wonder when will 8k come though, and when it comes, is its still capture resolution still less than photos from Oly focus bracketing. Oly's photo resolution probably still wins?

I vaguely remember Lou said the Oly focus bracketing takes a bit long........is it longer than 2-4 seconds?
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Fan, yes, my Oly runs an in-camera focus stack limited only by the shutter speed and the buffer, at full resolution, including RAW files. I can do it handheld but it is hard. The great thing is you can set the relative spacing between frames and the number of frames, up to 999 frames.

You can see some examples on my foundation's website here, and you can click the images to enlarge them:

https://ecomingafoundation.wordpress.co ... est-twigs/

A few of these were handheld.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic