Found a really good LED desk lamp for studio macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Found a really good LED desk lamp for studio macro

Post by Beatsy »

In anticipation of my new macro rig arriving (still en-route), I've been concentrating on getting my lighting technique(s) up to scratch. Main thing was getting diffusion right (ping pong balls, polystyrene, bounce light, white card reflectors, etc) which I achieved fairly easily. I wasn't too keen on the flat look though, so moved on to gobos, directional lighting and the like.

Anyway, in looking for additional light sources, I chanced on the Halo 10w Gooseneck LED desk lamp. It emits dimmable light through a 100mm x 65mm flat panel. I ordered one to try and was VERY pleasantly surprised. I expected the panel to be bright at one end and dim at the other, but this is not the case. The light is very even. The gooseneck is very sturdy and stable too. It's seems OK running at max output for extended periods too - no overheating detected.

Mine only arrived this afternoon and I've only done one quick test stack with it, but it already appears to be a brilliant solution for whole-insect stacks. With longer exposures (on a stable rig) I'm sure it will work for higher mags too. I've already ordered another for extra light and direction options, and may even order a third in the near future. It's trivially simple to use and avoids the danger of "fat finger" episodes while manipulating a ping pong ball and tiny gobos around a mounted specimen.

Here's one of the lamps (no affiliation, etc etc) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TROND-Halo-10 ... SwsTxXjCJP

And the test stack is attached, one full frame, one crop to show detail. MP-E 65 at f/4, 1/80th, 2.7x mag onto sensor. A straight pmax stack of 50 images with no retouching. Pmax tends to accentuate highlights and specular reflections - but I think you'll agree they're still pretty controlled here. The Halo lamp was simply angled toward the wasp from top right and about 60mm away.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Impressive.
Following links took me to this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halo-11W-C-Pro ... B01B1S4HIK
which is 11W versus 10 but lower ?
But has a clamp, changes colour....
a little cheaper.
Last edited by ChrisR on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris R

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Just bought the 11W version from Amazon UK. Looks like it could be very useful. Thanks Beatsy & Chris.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Ahh - thanks Chris, forgot about that one. I did see it, but preferred the flat base for now - and I have enough trouble with colour temperature as it is, without the lamp letting me vary it :)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with yours Dave.

Cheers

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The 10W is cheaper on Amazon too ,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halo-10W-Prote ... =trond+10w

There are so many now... eg this one, no Wattage quoted
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... z_bw_c_x_1
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

ChrisR wrote: ...There are so many now... eg this one, no Wattage quoted
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... z_bw_c_x_1
That's a 10w one too. Suspect it's an OEM panel (now) being used in several products.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Found it:
- Power: 10 Watts
- Max Brightness: 550 lm
- Color Temperature: 2700 - 6500K
- CRI: 85 Ra
550 lm compared to 700 for the above (though one listing quotes 1000)
And 75W equivalent where the others say 100W.

Hmm, will hunt for the panel in China..
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Yeah - specs get played fast and loose these days. The one I got says 600lm. I've no way of measuring it, but it is pretty bright. Just tried it with a 10x mitty on a 200mm Vivitar and got plenty of light in. Able to run the camera at ISO200, 1/40th and just about fill the histogram on various subjects. That's with the lamp in "landscape" orientation, angled down at 45deg toward the front of the subjects and ~70mm away. So, in practice - this lamp, and presumably the others, are plenty good enough for most studio macro work. Presumably 2 lamps gives twice as much light - so will try the 50x mitty when it (and the rig) arrive.

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

Thanks Beatsy. These look useful.

Just wondering if the Trond AC adapter is good for both 110/240 Volts? As an Aussie, I can only find them on ebay from the USA. I asked a seller who replied "not suitable for 240V", but the lamps seem to be the same for UK and US?
Geoff

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Boomblurt, the power supply is in its own box in the packaging. Mine is a mini brick. UK 3-pin plug style. Specs are 100-250v, 50-60 hz. 12v 0.5a out. Even if it weren't compatible, a 12v alternative supply would be easy to find (it's a standard female pin connector that plugs into the socket on the lamp).

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

12v 0.5a out
That would be 6W...
Chris R

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

In searching for diffusion technique ideas and lighting, I happened upon this post. My question...Beasty -- are you using this LED to provide enough light to focus(such as for a StackShot) or is this your light source?

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

Oops -- Call you Beasty and not Beatsy. Slip of the fingers!!!

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I use two or three Trond lamps at a time as the main light source (focus and shooting). Mainly use these lights alone for larger subjects (10mm+) where only moderate diffusion is needed. If I need more diffusion, then I use the trond lamps with additional diffusers too (usually a ping pong ball). Longer exposures are needed then - but rarely slower than 1/10th (up to 50x Mitty).

I use a twin-halogen gooseneck with additional Janso-style warm LED lamps if I need stronger lighting. I rarely mix the cool Trond lamps with the warmer halogens or color balance can get tricky. But if you're colour balanced for the halogens, the Tronds can add nice moody blue rimlights and background.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic