Don't bite off more than you can chew!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wolfgang Bettighofer

Don't bite off more than you can chew!

Post by Wolfgang Bettighofer »

Hi folks at photomicrography,

several weeks I had no time to contribute to this forum. As I can see now there are lots of new interesting photographs and comments. A view weeks ago I watched at a Mayorella gliding along under the cover glass and tried to catch a Closterium. During the following 30 minutes I saw what happens if one bite off more than one can chew. The movement with this big alga in the "stomach" wasn't easy for the amoeba and the pectinous cellwall resisted digesting. So the Mayorella gave up and released the Closterium without damage.

Cheers, Wolfgang

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Welcome back Wolfgang! :D
This is simply great! :smt023
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Excellent shots Wolfgang!

I've observed something similar with Mayorella a couple times. It's almost as if it has no idea how large a "victim" it has chosen (but then how could it :-k ) and then at some point realizes it just isn't going to work!

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Wolfgang, what a crisp and detailed image of an amoeba and her feeding behaviour! Thanks for sharing.

Although I´m not an advanced user of the compound microscope you guys with your mouth-watering, excellent photos really make me think of using it for photography one day. Unfortunately, my old inherited Leitz Dialux I (black) has no phototube and I think investing to equip this old scope for photography isn´t worth the money.

Wolfgang, if you´re not bothered I´d like to ask you how you mount your Olympus onto the Universal. Do you use a special phototube or do you shoot through the observational eyepiece to obtain such great pictures?

Bye for now,
Betty

Wolfgang Bettighofer

Planapo wrote:... Do you use a special phototube or do you shoot through the observational eyepiece to obtain such great pictures?

Bye for now,
Betty
Hi Betty,

check out ebay. Maybe ebay delivers a cheap "light splitter" combined with an old discussion tube. Such a part is the main component of my camera adaption on the Zeiss Standard (together with a straight tube plus a hand made adaption from tube to camera body).
Fortunately the Universal has a buitlin trino tube. So I only had to mount the straight tube plus a hand made adaption... For more details please send a message.

So long, Wolfgang

James Sutherland

Post by James Sutherland »

Hi Wolfgang, Great capture by both you and the amoeba! Always fun to see what's on the menu. I usually find diatoms are being served.
Aloha, Jim
Keep looking down...and think small!

Wolfgang Bettighofer

James Sutherland wrote:... I usually find diatoms are being served.
Aloha, Jim
Hi Jim,

a few weeks ago I also saw another Mayorella feeding a diatom half the size of this Closterium. I use to watch the amoeba over a longer period. After appr. 1/2 h the Mayorella released the diatom undigested. I'll keep looking at this phenomenon...

So long, Wolfgang

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic