www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Amoeba test
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Amoeba test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Amoeba test Reply with quote

These are always a constant source of amazement to me! Microscopic "pottery" made by an amoeba!

Olympus 40/0.95 S Plan Apo, Canon 350D, bright-field illumination (slightly oblique), 24 stacked images using Helicon Focus
beetleman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you always give us the best 3D views of them with your fantastic stacks Charles.
Wolfgang Bettighofer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Amoeba test Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:
These are always a constant source of amazement to me! Microscopic "pottery" made by an amoeba!

Hi Charles,

very nice! You did a great job in parameterizing the stacking software. But what amoeba? The surface looks like Difflugia and the shape like Lesquereusia.

So long, Wolfgang
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The surface looks like Difflugia and the shape like Lesquereusia.

Yes, I thought that very same thing! I have seen such amazing variations of these tests. It really is a shame they are so difficult to photograph well. Stacking is a big help, but my biggest problem has been the "depth" required by the subject and my inability to get a nice sharp image (of the deeper sections) due to spherical aberration. And this is even with a 40X that has a correction collar. I'm beginning to think that I should try to collect some specimens and try it "dry" with a 40X objective designed for use without a coverslip.
Wolfgang Bettighofer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:
Quote:
The surface looks like Difflugia and the shape like Lesquereusia.

... I'm beginning to think that I should try to collect some specimens and try it "dry" with a 40X objective designed for use without a coverslip.

Looking at your picture I have no idea what could be done better... Smile
Some words to objectives designed for use without a coverslip. Are there any for brightfield use? In former times I used a 40/0.95 objective with correction collar. For me this was not satisfying. Since the time I'm using a 40/1.00 oil I'm happy.
Have you ever tested a 40x oil?

Cheers, Wolfgang
Planapo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous image, with respect to biological documentation as well as artistic value, Charles. It displays on my monitor so crisply and three-dimensionally as if I just could grab it.

Truly, never have I seen a better picture of Testacean "pottery" than this before. Thanks for showing.

Cheers,
Betty
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang...
Quote:

I have a 40X Zeiss Plan Apo oil. Unfortunately it has some of the dreaded "delamination" so common in those objectives. It still provides a very good image, and does make things simpler as far as not needing to fiddle around with an adjustment collar. But I am not convinced that it really is better when a subject is rather "deep" in the water under the coverglass.
Wolfgang Bettighofer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:
Wolfgang...
Quote:

I have a 40X Zeiss Plan Apo oil. Unfortunately it has some of the dreaded "delamination" so common in those objectives. It still provides a very good image, and does make things simpler as far as not needing to fiddle around with an adjustment collar. But I am not convinced that it really is better when a subject is rather "deep" in the water under the coverglass.

OK, good to know that one can handle the 40/0,95. I gave it up, years ago, but you show that one can handle.
But I think that the appr. homogenous immersion could make it possible to image subjects in deep water a little better than "dry" objectives (I don't know the correct expression). Unfortunately I'm not able to test...

Cheers, Wolfgang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: