How to find a tube lens for Nikon AZ Plan 5x/0.5 objective?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

JohnyM wrote:20x lens i've tested, covers FF sensor on 135mm tube, but with ~1,5mm infinity space.
True, a longer tube lens at same f# will have a larger diameter aperture, which may give more infinity space. But the details will depend on entrance pupil location for each tube lens. What sort of 135 mm lens were you using it with?

--Rik

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Reversed 135mm Agfa Repromaster F8 or F9 (same lens is sometimes marked as F8 and sometimes as F9 - mine have no marks beside focal lenght - so i assume it's something in between).

Despite being quite slow (pretty much matching 20/0,75 [pulled to 13,5x] aperture), entrance pupil is very "accesible" (for the lack of better word) + it doesnt have glaring problems i've noticed with raynox, or that ugly ring from reflected objective mount.

Im in the process of manufacturing better adapter, can provide photos in a week or two.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

JohnyM wrote:Reversed 135mm Agfa Repromaster F8 or F9
So, aperture diameter is only about 16 mm? That definitely explains the short infinity section, especially on FF.

--Rik

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Yes, almost 16 according to my measurements. Other, faster 135mm lenses i've tested, had very recessed aperture and were vignetting horribly.

~120ish raynox is also vignetting, but seems it's already objective fault here. Also for raynox, some serious flocking would be necessary.

Anyway, it just occured to me (why only now)... why bother with infinite space, i can just use finite vertical illuminator above the tube lens.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

JohnyM wrote:Anyway, it just occured to me (why only now)... why bother with infinite space, i can just use finite vertical illuminator above the tube lens.
That should work fine, all the same issues as with finite objective. Maybe some extra problems with reflections because of more glass surfaces.

I would be interested to see the setup after you get it working.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic