Lighting for macro photography of fern gametophytes

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hello!

I've to choose a microscope objective to buy with my grant, and I wondered if anyone might have thoughts on which would be best?

I really like Des Callaghan's moss images and he seems to use these kinds:

N2249200 UPLFLN10X2 OBJECTIVE (£530)
Universal Plan Fluorite objective with 10x magnification. With working distance of 10 mm und numerical aperture of 0.3. Suitable for any cover slip thickness.

N2183200 LMPLFLN10X OBJECTIVE (£870)
Long working distance material science fluorite objective. Magnification 10x, numerical aperture 0.25, working distance of 21.0 mm, maximum field of view 2.65 mm. The objective is suitable for reflected, transmitted and fluorescence light observations.

N2181600 MPLFLN10X OBJECTIVE (£545)
Universal material science plan fluorite objective. Magnification 10x,
numerical aperture 0.30, working distance of 11.0 mm, maximum field of view 2.65 mm.The objective is suitable for reflected, transmitted and fluorescence light observations.

I also know that the Mitotoyo lenses are very well regarded on here, but I've never seen any images taken with them to be able to judge for myself. I wondered if you might have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

If you don't need the extra working distance, the first and third option are better (a bit more resolution and less money), although the extra WD will allow for easier illumination or deeper subjects.
I also know that the Mitotoyo lenses are very well regarded on here, but I've never seen any images taken with them to be able to judge for myself
The Mitutoyo is more expensive but it's likely the best performer. You've plenty of wonderful samples at the forum, and tests done by skilled people, it's very popular here!
Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hi Pau,

Thanks ever so much for that.

Would it be possible for you to point me to some of the mitutoyo images? I did hunt but I wasn't able to find the right ones. I think it's partly because I don't know which people work with which kinds of optics.

My fern sames go from single cell right up to a cube shaped object of about 6mm. At that point I can use the MP-E lens though.

I just looked and the Mitutoyo lens actually seems to be cheaper than the better Olympus one so that would be good.

It is £627+VAT which is much more in budget than the expensive olympus one. http://www.mitutoyo.co.uk/optical-measu ... /378-803-7

The budget is actually £750 as some of the money has been spent for me on electronics.

I have a Opympus Zuiko 200mm manual prime lens to use to mount the microscope objective on the camera, and my next plan if I cannot get it to work (if my stage is not rigid enough or something) is to borrow an actual microscope and mount it on that.

Thanks so much for helping with this. It seems as if this is a bit where I ought to think hard before spending the money. :-)

Jen

jsp

Post by jsp »

I see what you mean about the long working distance on the Mitutoyo. I have requested one of those, and will now get on and try to grow some ferns. :)

https://www.edmundoptics.co.uk/microsco ... objective/

Thanks!

Jen

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Jen, sorry for the delay responding.
You will not be disappointed with the Mitutoyo: It has both good resolution, long WD and excellent correction (Plan Apo)
Unfortunately I don't own one :(
...and my next plan if I cannot get it to work (if my stage is not rigid enough or something) is to borrow an actual microscope and mount it on that.
This will not be possible with most microscopes: the Mitu is much longer and has a wider mount than "normal" microscope objectives

You can search for images taken with this objective at the forum:
- search for Mitutoyo (or Mitty) and you'll get tons of posts, both technical and pictures, you can restrict to Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up forum to go to the galleries where most of them are shown
Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

Oh gosh. If it can't be mounted on a normal microscope then that's my plan B out of the window. I wonder if I should buy the olympus to be on the safe side? <Much head scratching>

jsp

Post by jsp »

I think I have ordered the Mitutoyo now. I will cross my fingers. The lens mount adapter is coming from China, which might take a wee while. Next I have to think about umbrellas to diffuse the lighting. They should be cheaper at least.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Next I have to think about umbrellas to diffuse the lighting. They should be cheaper at least.
Forget about umbrellas, what you need is a much smaller diffuser made of translucent material wrapped around the subject, like a pin-pong ball or a paper cylinder illuminated from outside, again you have tons of posts on the subject at the forum, for example search for objective and diffuser author rjlittlefield
Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

Thanks!

I'll break out the polystyrene cups then. :-)

All the bits should be coming in a few weeks, so hopefully I should have some fun pictures for you, if I can get it all right.

Ta!

Jen

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Oh gosh. If it can't be mounted on a normal microscope then that's my plan B out of the window.
I think plan B would have been unattractive because of price. The Oly would really need the right "infinite" microscope, with a trinocular port and projective eyepiece. Not cheap.
Mitutoyo microscopes do appear from time to time, but as you might expect, ditto.
If you ever want to use transmitted (through) light, though, you'll have to think again.
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hi CHris,

Thanks, that's good to know. I definitely won't need to use transmitted light.

Ta!

Jen

jsp

Post by jsp »

I've been thinking about how to get directional lighting in macro scale to give depth to the image.

I wondered if anyone had ever tried painting bits of their polystyrene cup black so that there is bright light in some areas and dimmer light in others?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If you use a half cup, and the light close to it, you'll have very strong side light. I expect you'll be struggling to get it flat enough, at 10:1. It's a delicate balance all right!
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

I really like the lighting that this guy gets as it gives some depth to the subjects. I would love to be able to give that kind of depth to mine.

http://almodovarnaturephotography.com/macrophotography

jsp

Post by jsp »

Perhaps it helps that his subjects are much bigger though?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic