Flash setup for Zeiss Standard microscope (now Mk II)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Flash setup for Zeiss Standard microscope (now Mk II)

Post by Pau »

I've made a provisional setup with Lego bricks, but it works so well that I'm going to glue the parts transforming it in definitive, preventing the hassle to designing and ordering a metallic one as I initially planned. (I’m aware that gluing Lego is a sacrilege for some Lego fans :wink: )
This has been fun, remembering the old times when I played with my children

The parts dismounted:
- Collimating optics from a Zeiss lamp house 100
- 30mm 50/50 prism cube beamsplitter from SurplusSed: http://www.surplusshed.com/
- Led illuminator from ebay seller Stanton: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=L ... 1424083372
- Yongnuo YN560EX, a pretty powerful flashgun (58 GN). It has about the same features than the Canon EX580 and most of its functions can be controlled from the camera menu and Canon Utility when computer tethered, a most useful feature. It’s mounted with the head fully extended and turned backwards to best mount it and to have access to its control panel.
- Lego housing to fit the parts together and adjustable Velcro bundled band to fix the flashgun. It can be easily mounted and removed for other uses.

The full adapter mounted

Mounted on the Zeiss Standard 18.

Initially I used the collimating tube with collector lenses, but illumination was not enough uniform. After learning that the collector tube I have is for large stands Universal and PhoMi and the one for Standards is lens less, I’ve removed the lenses inside the tube and now it works better (but of course I still use the lamp house collimator optics).

For DIC I need to set flash power at 1/4 - 1/16 with a 40/0.70 objective with both diaphragms wide open, for BF I have too much light even at 1/128 power, so I need to put a strong ND filter over the microscope field diaphragm.

The LED lamp is likelly not te best one in the market (discussed in anther thread) but i'ts enough powerful and works well when paired with the collecting lens.

Edit: I've posted an improved Mk II version, see next page
Last edited by Pau on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pau

75RR

Post by 75RR »

I was wondering how one could incorporate flash - I like your solution!
The lego is a bonus. :)

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

Love it Pau ... good old Lego ... it was all grey Lego you'd think it was part of the scope ... :D ...

The LED doesn't get too hot I take it, regarding the plastic Lego? ...
Last edited by GemBro on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks, who don't like Lego? :lol:

GemBro, the heat is very well dissipated, the golden heat radiator goes pretty hot when running at max power for long time while the black plastic mount remains just a bit warm and the Lego bricks do not warm appreciably
Pau

dariuskersulis

Post by dariuskersulis »

Thank you so much Pau for sharing! I already ordered 40mm 50/50 beamsplitter from Surplus Shed (excellent value!) and got in touch with ebay seller Stanton asking if he could custom make 30W dimmable LED illuminator for my scope. I feel his standard 10W is a bit too low. Stan already replied that he could, so just waiting for his pricing.

I don't know if you've seen LEGO movie but you wanting to glue your legos makes me chuckle. The kragle dude.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

dariuskersulis wrote: I already ordered 40mm 50/50 beamsplitter from Surplus Shed (excellent value!) and got in touch with ebay seller Stanton asking if he could custom make 30W dimmable LED illuminator for my scope. I feel his standard 10W is a bit too low. Stan already replied that he could, so just waiting for his pricing.
What microscope do you use and for what illumination techniques?. For mine a 40mm cube would be too thick putting the flash tube too far from the original microscope lamp position.

The 10W LED is enough powered to work as auxiliary light for focusing and setting up illumination even with the light hungry DIC, with the 50/50 beamsplitter and the 80/20 trinocular head. For brightfield visual work without beamsplitters I only can use it at very reduced power
Pau

dariuskersulis

Post by dariuskersulis »

Pau,

I’ve just started getting back in after I sold my DIC setup before we moved 2 years ago. I acquired Optiphot 2 and right now I mostly use darkfield with dry darkfield condenser. I’ll be looking for DIC setup if I can get a good price, that’s why I want to go with more power now so later it would not be an issue. If I’ll find that it is too much, even on lowest dimmer setting, I’m thinking I can always add an ND filter.

The fact that you said additional 10mm to the beamsplitter thickness it is too far for you makes me concerned. I suppose I didn’t think about that. I think I should try to take lamp house apart and see what is the distance between the light bulb and the collector lens.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Darius,
I have no experience with Nikon microscopes but I must say that the Zeiss illumination system is a bit tricky, likely yours is more tolerant, take a look at a FAQ post I've recently written about this topic to see other relevant adaptations
Pau

dariuskersulis

Post by dariuskersulis »

In Optiphot 2 lamphouse the distance between the bulb and collimator lens is only about 10mm. 40mm Beamsplitter will have to work, especially if I'll go with 30W LED. Most of the parts are being shipped and I'm very excited about this little project.

Sharnbrook

Post by Sharnbrook »

Hi Pau,

I like your idea of using Lego, excellent.

You mention in your post that you are using an LED light unit available from "Stanton", and you say that it was discussed in a separate thread. Would you be good enough to provide a link for the other thread, as I would like to see the comments. I have done a search, but without any luck.

I have just asked the Forum for comments on this light source, as I am considering buying one. (See my post New Light Source for Olympus BHC).

Many thanks
Regards,

Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Sharnbrook wrote: You mention in your post that you are using an LED light unit available from "Stanton", and you say that it was discussed in a separate thread. Would you be good enough to provide a link for the other thread, as I would like to see the comments. I have done a search, but without any luck.

I have just asked the Forum for comments on this light source, as I am considering buying one. (See my post New Light Source for Olympus BHC).
This is the discussion I was referring to, be patient reading, there are several topics mixed, but you can find links to different options and some discussion over the pages:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 015#155015
Pau

Sharnbrook

Post by Sharnbrook »

Thank you Pau, I have had a good look through that, and picked up a number of pointers.
Regards,

Mike

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Hello, Pau. Have you considered a flip mirror instead a beam splitter? You will achieve twice light with the same flash.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Do you have any idea how to synchronize it with camera? I was thinking of doing so, but have no clue how to sync it. Or if you think of manual thing, it's unpractical.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic