Leitz Dialux stand - rebuild photos added

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

steveminchington

Leitz Dialux stand - rebuild photos added

Post by steveminchington »

I picked up this Leitz Dialux stand on ebay with the intention of using the focus block on my macro rig, but as it turned out, the fine focus only has about 2mm of travel. However, the stand is in such good condition and as I am looking to get a microscope anyway, I thought I could build this into a working scope from parts. It is pre Dialux 20 but I can't find much info on line about it.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this model or literature, even a manual, or whether parts from the Dialux 20 will fit. Serial number is 838813.

I have stripped and cleaned the focus block and all looks well - just about to put it back together. I am looking for a trinocular head, stage, turret, condenser, light source and objectives. I would welcome any help on this e.g. how to identify the correct parts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by steveminchington on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

This appears to be an older model dialux (170 mm TL) as opposed to the newer Dialux 20 (160 mm TL). IF I recall correctly You can use parts from SM-LUX, Dialux, Ortholux and Orthoplan series parts, with the exception of course of the 30 mm Orthoplan occulars and trinoc head. The trinoc head from an SM-LUX or Dialux and condensers from this series will all be fine. I can send you a PM with more details if you want.

David

steveminchington

discomorphella wrote: I can send you a PM with more details if you want.

David
Yes please David - Thanks.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Steve,

Leitz was very "concerned" that the users didn't mix components from the large (Orthoplan) and small stands (like the Dialux) and components from the 170 mm and 160 mm tube length models. That's because the tubes had different optical lengths.

For that reason, there limitations to the compatibility of the components. There are, for example, 4 different binocular tube ring dovetail diameters (41, 42, 43 and 50 mm). The one you're looking for is the "43 mm" for Ortholux2/grey Dialux/HM-Lux/SM-Lux/Diavert, as David already said. They can look quite similar but the ring dovetails are different! http://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=4406.0

Also take care when choosing the nosepiece. I don't know which one's the correct one for you, but there are different kinds as well.

You're missing the tube, the nosepiece, the stage, the condenser carrier and all the optics; this might get quite expensive for you. You might consider buying a more complete microscope and save money that way.

Kind regards, Ichthy

steveminchington

Hi Ichthy,

Thanks very much for the information - this doesn't look like it is going to be easy! I have just measured the binocular head ring diameter and it is 43mm as you say, so now I can ask a seller to measure that. One thing I have noticed is that sellers list parts as Leitz, but don't specify which model, probably because they don't know themselves.

Yes, I think it may be a good idea to look out for a more complete Dialux so I can get several parts together.

Steve

steveminchington

Just posting a couple of pictures of the focus block rebuild. This isn't suitable for a macro rig as the fine focus has limited travel. The course focus knob turns the worm gear which rotates the rack pinion. The fine focus knob moves the worm gear from side to side which rotates the rack pinion a very small amount.

Dismantled slide assembly. The ball bearings are held between four steel rods which form the slideway and sit in the linear bearing cages (brass strips on the left). The bearings are preloaded with small disc springs which are tensioned by the screws painted red (three springs per screw). This is a very good design and ensures there is zero play in the slide.

Last edited by steveminchington on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Hi Steve,
I have a 5 objective turret nose piece, mechanical stage and condenser fork for your Dialux if you are interested. I used two Dialux's to make a complete one and have parts left. But if you're not in the US, it could be expensive just to ship.
Eddie

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Also on the focus gear, the fine focus travels about 1.75 turns in either direction and then engages the coarse focus gear.

steveminchington

Eddie wrote:Hi Steve,
I have a 5 objective turret nose piece, mechanical stage and condenser fork for your Dialux if you are interested. I used two Dialux's to make a complete one and have parts left. But if you're not in the US, it could be expensive just to ship.
Eddie
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the offer of the parts - I'll PM you about it.
Steve

steveminchington

I have added all the pictures of the focus block rebuild as discomorphella wanted info about curing the tight coarse focus. I hope it will be useful to anyone else who may have a Dialux like this. I may have forgotten to add some details like the tiny hairspring on the bottom stop pawl, and the small thrust race with loose ball bearings behind the R/H fine focus knob, but I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to have a go. BTW the names I have given parts are my engineering interpretation and probably not what Leitz call the parts, as I did this without any literature or parts list.

I'm happy to say that mine is working like a dream now - smooth as silk, and all the play is adjusted out. The only casualty was losing a single 2mm ball bearing, so not bad going.

Ian Parkin

Post by Ian Parkin »

One hell of a lot of engineering in the stand Steve !!!

I'll hold my hand up and say that It was I who sold it you on ebay

I'd bought it in a package deal with some zeiss parts I wanted
tried to sell it as one...everything bar objectives and eyepieces but didnt have a sniff of interest
As it came to me with no glass at all
But parting it out everything sold

I think its a shame that I had to do it but you do see the same old quality makes (zeiss leitz et all) forever advertised with no takers
If one was to drop the price so it goes you would certainly see it broken up into parts on ebay

But it does mean that others who are searching for a part to repair or make up a complete instrument get what they want.

What do others think of "breakers"

steveminchington

Ian Parkin wrote:I'll hold my hand up and say that It was I who sold it you on ebay
Haha... how funny!
Well so far, the only parts I have been offered are in the US which come with hefty shipping costs and import duty attached. There seems to be plenty of cheap SM lux's about but so far no Dialux of that era. At this rate, the Dialux stand is destined to be an elegant door stop!

I have nothing against people breaking microscopes, but what I don't like to see is people buying complete ones then selling them for ten times the price in pieces. Seems the first thing to go are the objectives. Some of the prices I have seen for parts are ludicrous. At least you listed the stand at a very reasonable price.

Ian Parkin

Post by Ian Parkin »

I must admit i only wanted to get my money back on the price of the scope as i bought it
I had to buy 5 leitz instruments with the 2 zeiss's I wanted
all of them had no objectives and eyepieces
all of the parts sold quickly perhaps i priced them too cheap
Your stand was complete apart from Ob's and ey's
I have the pictures of what was fitted if you need them

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

This very reliable seller has two complete SM-Luxs, bar some non original objectives, at very reasonable prices. He might be prepared to break one for parts for you if you are determined to complete the stand you already have.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leitz-Werzlar ... 2a4a3ad270

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leitz-Werzlar ... 27f278d463
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

steveminchington

Thanks for the links David. I'm checking in on ebay daily so have spotted these two. I'm still not entirely convinced the parts are compatible with the Dialux though, from what I have seen looking at all the pictures I can find. The nose piece on the SM is different to mine - it screws on with three screws, and mine has a dovetail slide. The condenser fitting is different too and the stages have different bolt patterns. There are a lot of differences.
I'm still looking at other microscopes in case this doesn't work out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic