Close-ups with a Lomography Petzval lens

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Close-ups with a Lomography Petzval lens

Post by Chris S. »

Some may be interested in images taken with a lens of antique design, though modern manufacture: Lomography Petzval 85mm f/2.2.

Petzval lenses, circa 1840 technology, are not sharp away from image center. However, they render out-of-focus elements in ways that modern lenses can only dream of. I intend this lens primarily for portraits, but spent a few hours seeing what it could do with close-ups.

Queen Anne’s Lace (Daucus carota):

Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana). Three-image handheld stack in Zerene Stacker:

Cultivar, Compositae family. Petzval on short extension tube, three-image handheld stack in Zerene Stacker:

Cultivar, likely Trifolium genus. (Petzval on short extension tube):

See here for discussion of this lens in Technical forum.

--Chris

--edited typo
Last edited by Chris S. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjphoto

Post by jjphoto »

Very nice. The images seem to have enough sharpness although I suspect this depend on subject placement not being too far from the centre of the frame.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks, jjphoto.
jjphoto wrote:The images seem to have enough sharpness although I suspect this depend on subject placement not being too far from the centre of the frame.
Right you are--the center is reasonably sharp. And if you stop down, the size of the sharp zone increases; on the downside, stopping down decreases the swirly effect in the bokeh.

--Chris

--edited typo
Last edited by Chris S. on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I took the petzval on the dog walk today this is the best shot(@2.2). the dog thought I was weird lying down to get it:

Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Lovely shots, Chris. The bokeh is really sweet and dreamy!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic