Vietnam part X

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Vietnam part X

Post by pbertner »

Colourful katydid (Scambophyllum angustipenne):

Rhacophorus dulitensis:

Backlit cockroach:

Ant-mimicking wasp (Gelis sp.):

Harvestman with mite:

Mantisfly:

Leaf galls:

Backlit caterpillar:

Juvenile purple mantis (Leptomantella sp.):

Stink bug (Tessaratoma sp.):

under UV:

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

Danny

Post by Danny »

Love the colours of that Katydid Paul, unusual to see those colours compared to ours.

All fantastic shots and love the variety in here. Subjects I would never get to see otherwise.

All the best Paul, fine work.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Danny, much appreciated! Glad that you enjoyed the set and got to see some crazy critters.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Great stuff. I particularly like the ant-mimick and the backlit cockroach.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks, appreciate it abpho!

christerb

Post by christerb »

Stunners!. I like the use of back-lighting the leaves, as it gives really nice effects. The colors of the first katydid is amazing, as is the photo itself. I haven't seen Gelis wasps before. Had to read up on them after seeing this wingless critter.

Regards,

Christer

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Christer, much appreciated. Indeed the backlighting has definitely become a nice touch that I've experimented a lot with of late. It helps reveal details that might otherwise not be possible to show off, especially in thin, translucent subjects.

Cheers,
Paul

orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Very nice, Paul. I esp like the stink bug and the cute little wasp. That frog looks a little weird with zero catch light in its eyes though.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Kurt. Removing the catchlights are an acquired taste, for those used to seeing them in all their subjects it comes across as artificial, however I like seeing all the detail with no reminders, subconscious or otherwise of the photographer's presence.

orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Can't say I agree with that. Even photographed with just available light/natural light, catch lights will always be there. Subject looks listless with no catch light but we all have our own preferences :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Paul, a question of technique...

Is the catchlight "removed" in the sense of painted out during post-processing, or is it done with something optical like cross-polarization? Or is the geometry such that in this case there's no reflection to form a catchlight?

--Rik

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Kurt - Keep in mind that I didn't say that the catchlights are unnatural, as you pointed out in NL they can be quite visible. I was referring simply to the particular shape and position of artificial catchlights appearing when flash is used and that I can find them to be more obtrusive and distracting than their removal. I'm not a fan of large reflections which behave almost like a mirror, displaying a ghosted version of the photographer. This tends to be the case in my photos since I don't use a light tent or quite as much diffusion.

Rik- This is the removal in post of the catchlights since cross-polarization which I have since abandoned tends to oversaturate the image in my opinion, and will flatten it even more than I have already done here.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Congratulations on making the front page.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

BernardoSegura

Post by BernardoSegura »

great photos and stunning animals!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic