Nice clean pictures

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Nice clean pictures

Post by Charles Krebs »

For a variety of reasons I've not been able to play around with the microscopes, or do much photography of any type lately. But while doing some breakfast dishes I decided to have a look at the soap bubbles with the Canon 65mm MPE. Interesting but a little dull all white, so I got out the food coloring. I suppose its been done a million times, but sometimes you just need to take a picture or two... :wink:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely and interesting! These images make clear how the liquid obviously collects into thick strands along the intersections of faces. I think the addition of the color really helps a lot for that. It gives the strands a "solid" appearance that they don't have when clear.

--Rik

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Beautiful set!

What is food coloring (sorry for my ignorance)?

Rogelio

oxkarthemighty

Post by oxkarthemighty »

Rogelio > Food coloring is exactly what it sounds like, food coloring. You can use it in white frosting for sugar cookies during the holidays, and has a variety of culinary (or non culinary in this case) uses.

Charles > Really cool shots. I did this with my 65mm as well, but I wasnt smart enough to drop some food coloring in it. I was going to go for the soaps "rainbowish" colors in the photo. Didnt turn out the way I had expected or desired. Doing that really enhances the feel. Really Star Trekkie... :D
If your photo lacks interest, you aren't close enough.

crisarg

Post by crisarg »

A lovely set! :)
Cristian Arghius

Flickr

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

rjlittlefield wrote:Lovely and interesting! These images make clear how the liquid obviously collects into thick strands along the intersections of faces. I think the addition of the color really helps a lot for that. It gives the strands a "solid" appearance that they don't have when clear.

--Rik
Charlie,

I'm fascinated by the exhibited structure, (possibly) random and definitely beautiful.

Rogelio,
Food colouring can be purchased as a liquid in a small bottle at your local supermarket/grocery store (usually found near boxes of cake mix, etc). It has many uses when a non toxic, coloured additive is required.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Think Easter eggs! :wink:

Olympusman

Clean pictures

Post by Olympusman »

Very impressive, Charles.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

DMX

Post by DMX »

Very good idea, very good execution, so very good pictures :D.

snic320

Post by snic320 »

YES they are clean and YES they are wonderful! Superb light and details.....stunning!
:idea:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Never imagined my morning bowl of granola would end up producing images I would be posting here! :wink:

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Beautifully executed, impeccable images (as usual :)). Reminiscent of Fritz Goro's soap bubbles.

macrochemistry

Post by macrochemistry »

Wow! Very nice!
Are these pics negatives?
Or how did you produce the illumination?

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

macrochenistry,
Are these pics negatives?
Or how did you produce the illumination?
Not negatives or inverted... the food dye concentrates and spreads along the "seams" between the bubbles, making them "dark". The bowl was on the counter next to the sink (waiting to be washed :wink:) The illumination was from a window behind it that had overcast sky with an occasional glint of sunlight breaking through.

It is not unusual to see highly similar shapes and forms in nature in subjects of very different sizes and types. (Like the way I "see" layered mountain ridge-lines when I photograph mushroom gills under the microscope).
While I was taking these I had a strong déjà vu experience. They appear so similar to the alga hydrodictyon that I photographed way back in 2004 (Google "hydrodictyon" and check out additional images to see an amazing similarity with these bubbles):

(This was actually one of the very first microscope shots I took and posted here in July 2004. Mediocre 40X objective, Canon 10D, and a complete digital novice).

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Really cool looking. The second and third ones are great :)

I like the lighting, you say this was all window light?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic