Putting together Canon EOS 30D and Leitz Metallux II

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I think this eyepiece will be very convenient for your setup because its 8X magnification and wide field:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Wetzler-M ... 3a6cd896be
Pau

Jaava

Post by Jaava »

I hapened to buy a Periplan 8x brille, that have 18mm FOW, some time ago.
This seems to be ok.

My current goal is to make an electronics that steps stage to new focus position between camera shots. See my other thread: DIY focus stepper.

Jaava
J.A.A.VA. , Just curious about everything

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Pau wrote:Charles and others Olympus and Nikon microscope owners use them as designed, with a matched low power eyepiece specially designed for photo (also called projective eyepieces) and with the adequate correction of the objective aberrations.
But Leitz and Zeiss did not made this kind of eyepieces in that era and its photo setups were designed to work with an eyepiece similar to the viewing ones (there are some special potoeyepieces especially well corrected and expensive like the red dot Periplan and the Zeiss S-Kpl, but still of the same type as the viewing ones, also very adequate), with a relay lens over the eyepiece, i.e. afocal setup.
A 10X eyepiece will project a real image, but MUCH larger and far, perhaps adequate for a large or medium format camera but not for a DSLR. Raising the eyepiece over its right position would correct partially this issue, but it will loss parfocality and may introduce aberrations as you are altering the microscope tube lenght.
So the afocal approach is the best one with this scopes to work as designed, and it also may be simpler and less expensive.

In my Zeiss scope I use Leitz objectives and Periplan eyepieces.
My main setup is with a Zeiss lens specially designed to this role, but I also use a simple setup with an inexpensive Olympus OM 50mm f1.8 over the eyepiece and it's equally good
Please take a look at:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 1106#91106

Some samples with the later setup:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 1043#91043

the lens that Wim adapted is like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-M35-MICRO ... 43a9e7ae75
and, because it clamps over a 40mm tube it would be adequte for you. It is not rare and sometimes it sells for low prices.

To test the direct eyepiece projection setup, you don't need to make an adapter, just slide your bellows over the phototube (with the Leitz eyepiece inside) like in the Charles setup.
I am sorry to resurrect an old thread but the text highlighted in red got me interested. Does that apply also to Wild stereo microscope photo setups? Wild and Leitz were after all in close collaboration in the 70ies. I have also noticed that in the Wild MPS52 and MPS51 (maybe others too?) photoautomat and semiautomat systems, the relay/projection lens is a Leitz Periplan 10x / 18. I think the same projection lenses are supposed to work also with a SLR/DSLR.

So could I just drop in a regular Leitz Periplan ocular eyepiece (10x / 18 ) in my setup (phototube HV, focal reducer 0.32x) and get great results?

And a second question: is it possible to put in just about any regular (fixed) eyepiece, corrected or not, as long as it physically fits the tube? I think I have several different options.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Rorschach wrote:I am sorry to resurrect an old thread but the text highlighted in red got me interested. Does that apply also to Wild stereo microscope photo setups? Wild and Leitz were after all in close collaboration in the 70ies. I have also noticed that in the Wild MPS52 and MPS51 (maybe others too?) photoautomat and semiautomat systems, the relay/projection lens is a Leitz Periplan 10x / 18. I think the same projection lenses are supposed to work also with a SLR/DSLR.

So could I just drop in a regular Leitz Periplan ocular eyepiece (10x / 18 ) in my setup (phototube HV, focal reducer 0.32x) and get great results?

And a second question: is it possible to put in just about any regular (fixed) eyepiece, corrected or not, as long as it physically fits the tube? I think I have several different options.
No problem, resurrecting an old thread is fine in this context.
Yes, AFAIK Wild photo setups are afocal, in fact Leitz and Wild merged at some time and shared microscope cameras.
The difference is that Wild stereos don't need compensating eyepieces while Leitz microscopes do, so if you use Periplan (compensating) eyepieces with a stereo you will get lateral chromatic aberration. You need to use non compensating eyepieces. Wild made them for sure although I don't know the exact models.
Very likely you could use non compensating eyepieces from other makers with good results. Nikon CF or CFN could be good options if they fit inside your system (they are wide in most models)
Last edited by Pau on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Crucial information, many thanks! Saved me from losing money on an Ebay Periplan eyepiece :D I happen to have a Nikon CF projection lens but it looks like it's 23mm at the narrow end and 30mm at the wider top end. So it is the wrong size for a Wild photo system, I suppose.

I have tried to find information on the Wild made dedicated projection lenses for their stereo photo systems but have not yet reached a conclusion regarding what would be the correct/best projection eyepiece. I would prefer to stay with Wild/Leica, if possible.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Rorschach wrote:Crucial information, many thanks! Saved me from losing money on an Ebay Periplan eyepiece :D I happen to have a Nikon CF projection lens but it looks like it's 23mm at the narrow end and 30mm at the wider top end. So it is the wrong size for a Wild photo system, I suppose.

I have tried to find information on the Wild made dedicated projection lenses for their stereo photo systems but have not yet reached a conclusion regarding what would be the correct/best projection eyepiece. I would prefer to stay with Wild/Leica, if possible.
Beware that the system we are discussing here is afocal: a camera lens focused to infinite over a visual type eyepiece at its right parfocal position. The Nikon low magnification CF eyepieces (2X to 5X) are projective, ie they project the image directly on the film or sensor without the camera lens. It could also be an approach.
What Nikon eyepieces do you have?
What sensor size do you plan to use?
Pau

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Pau wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Crucial information, many thanks! Saved me from losing money on an Ebay Periplan eyepiece :D I happen to have a Nikon CF projection lens but it looks like it's 23mm at the narrow end and 30mm at the wider top end. So it is the wrong size for a Wild photo system, I suppose.

Beware that the system we are discussing here is afocal: a camera lens focused to infinite over a visual type eyepiece at its right parfocal position. The Nikon low magnification CF eyepieces (2X to 5X) are projective, ie they project the image directly on the film or sensor without the camera lens. It could also be an approach.
What Nikon eyepieces do you have?
What sensor size do you plan to use?
I am planning to use an APS-C sensor, i.e. a Pentax K5 IIs but later also a full frame, the Pentax K1 II. I have already the phototube HV (Wild number 404891) itself, the phototube eypiece adapter Wild 445546, the Wild 404207 tube, the 0.32x focal reducer and the carrier/adapter for it (Wild part number 162226). So I only miss a photo eyepiece (10x I suppose) and the T2 bayonet thing for Pentax K mount.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, I now recall having discussed it.
The 0.32X lens over a 10X eyepiece will provide 3.2X on sensor. The standard for FF is 2.5X but it will work well enough with FF, although for APSC the image will be too cropped, this is why I proposed a 50mm camera lens to get a similar FOV.
What's the diameter of the phototube eyepiece fitting? If it is for 30mm you can try one of the viewing eyepieces.
Pau

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Pau wrote:Yes, I now recall having discussed it.
The 0.32X lens over a 10X eyepiece will provide 3.2X on sensor. The standard for FF is 2.5X but it will work well enough with FF, although for APSC the image will be too cropped, this is why I proposed a 50mm camera lens to get a similar FOV.
What's the diameter of the phototube eyepiece fitting? If it is for 30mm you can try one of the viewing eyepieces.
The fitting inner diameter is 30mm and the Wild 30mm eyepieces fit perfectly indeed, I tested several. I noticed, though, that a few of them "sunk" much deeper into the tube fitting than most others, due to the "collar part" at the top end of the eyepiece being of much different height.

For actual testing with my camera I still need to get the T2/Pentax K -thing from somewhere.

I am fine with cropping on APS-C, might even find a suitable add-on framing reticle for one of the normal viewing eyepieces. Would be surprised if nobody is making those. The APS-C is such a popular sensor after all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic