My highest mag. shot yet

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

yeatzee

My highest mag. shot yet

Post by yeatzee »

Well Tonight/this morning (3:43 AM here) I took my highest magnification "legitimate" shot yet :)It involved a fully extended pentax auto bellows II, several extension tubes, and a reversed Pentax F 28mm @ F/4

The shot is a relatively small stack of 31 images, and is not very sharp. At this magnification i am greatly limited by the optics I have at hand so the image is no where near as sharp as I'd like it to be. It appears some microscope objectives will fit my needs perfectly :)

I was not planning on using this image as it was taken to test some lighting setups I have constructed but like the title says its kind of a milestone for me as a macro shooter.

My highest magnification yet. by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

its a boatman fly, the same species as this one I shot a couple months back:

Pogonortalis doclea (boatman fly) by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

Different coloring in the eyes which I found interesting :)

(please excuse the crappy background/bokeh. I can't find anything suitable to use thats not purple/orange which im sick of using. Like I said, I was not planning on using the image.)

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

4x5" paint sample cards from walmart make good backgrounds
Just shoot it......

Harold Gough

Re: My highest mag. shot yet

Post by Harold Gough »

Nice work.
yeatzee wrote:It involved a fully extended pentax auto bellows II, several extension tubes.
It would be more informative to also state the total extension, in mm, not necessarily too precisely.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

The bellows goes to 170mm, #2 and #3 extension tubes used, and a teleconverter DIY adapter about the size of the #2 tube if I remember correctly. I tore down the setup after writing the post and than promptly fell asleep hahahahaha

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Images look good!

Regarding magnification, it's a good habit to snap one shot of a millimeter scale using the same setup just before you tear it down. It's quick, easy, avoids awkward and unreliable computations, and answers almost all questions about size and scale.

--Rik

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

rjlittlefield wrote:Images look good!

Regarding magnification, it's a good habit to snap one shot of a millimeter scale using the same setup just before you tear it down. It's quick, easy, avoids awkward and unreliable computations, and answers almost all questions about size and scale.

--Rik
believe it or not my entire family does not own a ruler :shock:

Guido

Post by Guido »

I'm thinking of reversing the Pentax FA* 24/2

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

yeatzee wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:Images look good!

--Rik
believe it or not my entire family does not own a ruler :shock:
:lol:

In that case, you might photograph some lens mounting threads and write down which lens. M42 Pentax thread is particularly simple to work with because it's just 1 mm per turn. But buying a cheap ruler is probably more convenient in the long run...

--Rik

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

Guido wrote:I'm thinking of reversing the Pentax FA* 24/2
Let me know how it works! I've been wanting to try reversing my Pentax K 50mm F/1.2 but 1. its to heavy to be practical (as I assume the FA* will be aswell) 2. the filter threads a little damaged.

@ RJlittlefield - yea im just gunna pick one up

Guido

Post by Guido »

This was done wit the FA 24/2 on the F 100 macro.
The 100 macro wide open and the 24 on F4.

About 4x, not the best stack but I gues the lenscombination does the job.

But as you said but 590 gr + 450 gr, more then 1 kg without body.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic