Output dpi CZM

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

Output dpi CZM

Post by augusthouse »

I'm doing some tests with CZM (18th April) and TuFuse Pro.

Regarding image file output resolution, CZM is only giving me 96dpi? What am I missing here? My input images are 300dpi tiff files.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Craig,

DPI is irrelevent, at least until you print, if not totally! Do your output pictures have the right sort of amount of pixels (it should have a little more resolution horizontally and vertically over your out of camera shots due to the 'positioning' space which the alignment process puts around all the input images.)

As long as this is the case just ignore the DPI thing - although you should be able to load up those output images and change the DPI in photoshop if you really want to.

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

Indeed how do you measure an inch in cyberspace

Graham

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks guys. I'm still working through this.

The pixels are there (minus cropping). I suppose I should have referred to ppi. Just needed to resize in Photoshop with resample unchecked.

Print is one destination of primary concern, so it looks like I need a DSLR with higher MP and/or Genuine Fractals.

Must have too much going on. I'm forgetting my ABC's.

Craig

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

According to dpreview, your D100 is 3008 x 2000 pixels. That'll make a 10" x 7" print at 300 dpi.

If you want more resolution -- real resolution, not fractal faking -- you might consider stitching.

With flat subjects like butterfly wings, it's no great trouble to stitch say 2x2, which will give you more resolution from your D100 setup than you'll be able to afford in any single sensor.

With deeper subjects, you have to worry about parallax, but we understand now how to handle that problem by managing the entrance pupil.

--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks Rik,
Stitching is now on my project list. I had temporarily forgotten about that technique. The XY in my setup was for composition and positioning, the Z for stacking; but as I now recall, stitching was also a calculated reason for the inclusion of precision XY capabilities. Those translation stages allow for extremely accurate positioning.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic