My finally completed S&S microGUN

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Luisifer

My finally completed S&S microGUN

Post by Luisifer »

Looks like this is going to work

Plus first test of X nad Y axes moved fast: https://youtu.be/TJ5-oF09QUI
and later in video is the RPi3B+ that get REST commands for stepping over wifi.

Stability test on the fluff:
(4 cables - USB to PC, DC power for camera, DC power for RPi - 5.1V and DC power for drivers / stepper motors - 60V)

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

Very nice! Do you have a better photo of the side, curious to see what you have there that's presumably raising and lowering the camera.
- Cam

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

kaleun96 wrote:Do you have a better photo of the side, curious to see what you have there that's presumably raising and lowering the camera.
It should be visible in video. But for now i have only that photos that are just not good documents from mobile phone. I would like to take some photos more like product photo. But i need to borrow a second camera (actor) to that. Hope i will find someone near with 5D4 soon.

All three axes are from the same components with ball screws:
https://12in.cz/fotografie/velka/117_Kulickove-srouby
Only Z axis has in addition planetary gearbox 100:1 so that one microstep on stepper motor is one nanometer move.

Luisifer

Re: My finally completed S&S microGUN

Post by Luisifer »

3 axes test on fluff: https://youtu.be/WFmJqt0qi1c

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

Thanks for the video, it's a bit easier to see what's going on! You did well to build all three axes of movement into the camera mount and fit it all on a tripod.

Are you mostly shooting within a specific magnification range with only a couple of lenses or objectives? Curious to know whether you run into issues with not having enough travel in the three axes.
- Cam

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

kaleun96 wrote:Are you mostly shooting within a specific magnification range with only a couple of lenses or objectives? Curious to know whether you run into issues with not having enough travel in the three axes.
For now i use only 20x objective but maybe one day i will use 50x or maybe 10x. But for all that magnifications the length of movement ~35mm in all three axes is quite enough.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Luisifer,
What kind of motor with 60V do you use?
BR, ADi

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

That makes sense, I was thinking you might've been shooting at a much lower magnification (1-5X).
- Cam

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

Adalbert wrote:What kind of motor with 60V do you use?
Those motors are used: https://12in.cz/fotografie/velka/115_Kr ... ory-57HS09
57HS09 in series connection

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Thx!
Is it something like NEMA23 ?
https://shop.eufactory.com/krokove-moto ... 7hs09.html
Do you really need such power?
BR, ADi

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

Adalbert wrote:Is it something like NEMA23 ?
https://shop.eufactory.com/krokove-moto ... 7hs09.html
Do you really need such power?
Yes, it is with Nema23 flange. The power for the Z axis is really overdimensioned (thanks to gearbox). For the Y (where is quite big weight) it is ok. But i used for easier solving of troubles the same parts everywhere.

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

I have no comparsion with other gear but for me it looks quite more better than before.

I didn't tried to set the tube in rings as precise as i can to the axis of motion (in Z direction) but first mounting of tube is anyway even better than my previous provisory gear on rails for macro.

One from worst cases on previous provisory gear:

Comparison by dust trajectory on sensor, 634 frames with steady move, speed 1500 steps per second, one step mean one nanometer so 1500 steps is 1.5 micron, shooting is in one second interval:

I have prepared additional REST calls in Raspberry Pi for stepping without changing of relative position counter and counting with backlash in main WPF application is in progress but close to be solved:

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Luisifer,
Where and how did you mount the diffuser?
BR, ADi

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

Adalbert wrote:Where and how did you mount the diffuser?
For now the difuser is only on the strobe light which is not paired with scene. (could cause different light intensity). Later i would like to join the tripod with strobe light and base board with scene by some clamps, etc. But difuser stay on light or (second one) will be mounted over the scene because that part is static and objective with camera (etc.) can move in all three dimensions.

That's what i want because of the same character of the scene lighting. And that could change if the light would be connected to the objective instead of the scene.

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

Btw. i found that aphid was not very apropriate example (in this case was scene without link to the rail).
That was very bad. After change of provisory setup of rail for macro/detail that it was connected with scene the situation was quite better.

Here is comparsion of better case from 385 frames and the same space on frame (the same dirt) from actual gear and 634 frames:

(on left side, 385 frames provisory gear, on right side 634 frames from microGUN .... 100% crop)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic