macro setup not working

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hotrodder19

macro setup not working

Post by hotrodder19 »

Although my question has probably been answered many times previously I need some answers now. I have exhausted time delving into the forums looking for answers but after a reas time have called a truce. Am ready I think to start taking pics, am using a D750, 100mm bellows. a Nikkor 200mmF4 lens and a Nikon Plan 10x micro. When I shine light on a subject all I see thru the camera is a pretty prism type coloured effect. I can visualise some shadow as I move my hand in front of the lens but no detail at all of the subject for testing---none at all as if it doesn't exist. Do I need to set the F4 up specifically ? If so how, is that my problem ? Can somebody pls share some thoughts on what I am doing wrong----pleeeeez !

Regards hotrodder19

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hello:

I recommend that you follow exactly the instructions of:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=12147

Can you show us images of your lenses and setup, with their distances, components, focus, etc?

best
Ramón Dolz

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

The bellows seems superfluous.

I believe the tube lens should be focused to infinity.

What kind of lighting are you using and how is it diffused?

hotrodder19

macro setup not working

Post by hotrodder19 »

Set up pics shown below. not sure where the pics have gone ? Bellows is at 100mm, then F4 Nikkor manual lens wound around to infinity marking. Lighting at present is 2 x 60 watt LED lights. Tried others but no different. Just can't see anything to even suggest my lighting is a problem.

hotrodder19

macro setup not working

Post by hotrodder19 »

Perhaps somebody could explain how I upload pics to my post ?

Thanks hotroidder19

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

There should be no need for bellows in the setup, just put the 200mm lens directly to the camera and focus it to infinity and secure it to that position (tape is ok). Then attach the objective and necessary adapters etc.
- Rane

hotrodder19

Post by hotrodder19 »

Thanks rolsen for the comment. Tried as you suggested but no change, ie I cannot see anything thru the lens no matter if distance is close / far and with all lens ranges used. Its as if there is a "block" of vision. Is there a way to check that the Micro objective is sound ? Not been dropped but who know's. Ideas ?

hotrodder19

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Does your camera work normally with any other normal lens? Does it work with the 200mm lens?

When I have seen fancy things in viewfinder, it has been with a camera without focusing screen.
- Rane

RDolz

Re: macro setup not working

Post by RDolz »

hotrodder19 wrote:Perhaps somebody could explain how I upload pics to my post ?

Thanks hotroidder19
Please see if you have this checked under the message field:
"Disable BBCode in this post". If so, uncheck it and submit the message again. You can also use the preview-button to make sure all is visible.
Ramón Dolz

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

hotrodder19, I'm guessing that when uploading the images you accidentally omitted step 5 at Image Hosting Steps... :
5) The upload window will now preview the image you have chosen to upload. You will probably have to enlarge this window or use the scroll bars to see the entire image and the important controls, which are at the bottom of the window. To insert the necessary BBCode into your posting, click on the blue part of "insert picture: standard" or "insert picture and upload another one" (red arrows). (Do not click on the black words "insert picture". Nothing will happen if you do that.)

As admin, I found the following images recently uploaded by hotrodder19:

I will let other people diagnose the problem with the optics.

At this moment I am very confused because I don't see a "Nikon Plan 10x micro" anywhere in the images. Where is it?

--Rik

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

1. I don't see an objective anywhere either.
  2. Is it just me, or does anyone else see a visible droop after the bellows?

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Deanimator wrote:
I agree completely, ... although I suppose the Nikon 10X is in the front, although we can not see it.

As Deanimator has told you, the bellows is not necessary (I suppose the Nikon 10X is infinite).

So:
1) remove the bellows. (the drop will also be eliminated)
2) Focus the Nikkor 200mm to infinity (for example, focus on the moon)
3) do the test

Please, when you mount the setup, show it to us so that we can see the Nikon 10X ....

Best
Ramón Dolz

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

RDolz wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
I agree completely, ... although I suppose the Nikon 10X is in the front, although we can not see it.

As Deanimator has told you, the bellows is not necessary (I suppose the Nikon 10X is infinite).

So:
1) remove the bellows. (the drop will also be eliminated)
2) Focus the Nikkor 200mm to infinity (for example, focus on the moon)
3) do the test

Please, when you mount the setup, show it to us so that we can see the Nikon 10X ....

Best
And a confirmation of and a closeup of the objective would be a big help.

If it's absent... or a finite objective, those are instant show stoppers.

I'll be the first one to admit that using objectives was at first confusing for me. It's entirely possible that a misunderstanding has led him to mount a finite objective on BOTH a tube lens and bellows.

Barring a problem with the tube lens (or a used objective), this should be a pretty easy problem to remedy.

hotrodder19

macro setup not working

Post by hotrodder19 »

The camera works ok with the Nikkor 200mm lens. I can see fair detail with the micro objective looking thru it when removed.

THoughts now please hotrodder19

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I feel like I'm still seeing a couple of short extension tubes mounted behind the 200 mm. If there are, then take those away.

Set the aperture on the 200 mm to be wide open. Right now it looks like it's f/32.

After that -- when your optics are just camera, 200 mm lens wide open set on infinity focus, and the objective -- then the system will focus on an object that is located 6.7 mm in front of it. That's what the "WD 6.7" printed on your lens means: "working distance 6.7 mm".

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic