www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - I Need a Little Help
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I Need a Little Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
photosbytw

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: I Need a Little Help Reply with quote

When I program the Stackshot I get an additional image which has not been a problem......until now. When I ran a stack of 25(I programmed a run of 24) I got, for the lack of better terminology, stretch marks. When I removed the 1st image all was fine.......What am I doing wrong.
Hopefully I've posted in the proper forum...........
zed

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely an alignment issue - or something was moving. Do you have 'Automatic Order' selected in your preferences? If not do so:

https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/faqlist#my_output_image_has_a_band_of_streaks_on_one_side_why_is_that
cube-tube

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like an artifact of your stacking software's image alignment. My guess would be that your camera is not perfectly parallel to the direction of the rail, causing a slight sideways shift with each frame. When the frames do not align well, the software automatically extends the image downward to fill the frame.

You said that removing the first image fixes the problem--in that case, it might just be the first image that is misaligned.

I would try adjusting the alignment settings in your software, removing the images that are causing problems in the stack or, even easier, just cropping the output to remove the stretch marks.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are classic edge streaks, as explained at the link that zed gives. (Full disclosure: I'm the fellow behind Zerene Stacker.)

Because the streaks go away when you delete just the first image, clearly the problem is that the first image is not well aligned with all the others. That often happens when the StackShot rail reverses direction, due to various forms of mechanical backlash in the carriage movements.

The standard solution is to adjust your shooting protocol, so that the rail has always been moving in the same direction just before it stopped at any critical points. For example: if you have moved forward to set Start (one critical point), then be sure to move forward to set End (another critical point), then before starting to take pictures, manually back up to beyond the Start point, so that the rail will have to move forward again to reach Start and begin shooting.

This approach allows all the images to be well aligned with each other, which preserves the maximum number of good pixels in the frame.

--Rik
photosbytw

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thanks to all for responding..........

tw
Deanimator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
The standard solution is to adjust your shooting protocol, so that the rail has always been moving in the same direction just before it stopped at any critical points. For example: if you have moved forward to set Start (one critical point), then be sure to move forward to set End (another critical point), then before starting to take pictures, manually back up to beyond the Start point, so that the rail will have to move forward again to reach Start and begin shooting.

This approach allows all the images to be well aligned with each other, which preserves the maximum number of good pixels in the frame.

--Rik

I had never seen this before, and it quite likely will solve some of my similar issues.

We'll see in a week or two... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: