Nikon 5MM objective with ITL 200 tube lens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JH

Nikon 5MM objective with ITL 200 tube lens

Post by JH »

Lou Jost made a very nice picture of an Orchid https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 070#248070 with his Nikon 5X MM obejective

That inspired me to use my own 5X MM. The 5X is a nice objective with a long WD. I have tested it on different distances from objective to sensor and even found it usefull with a tube lens. Normal behaviour of the objective can be found at CoinImaging.com http://coinimaging.com/nik5xmeas.html

Here is a picture that shows the behaviour with the ITL 200, the amount of blue and green CA and how it can be corrected in adobe LR. Before this adjustment in LR I have also used the adjust CA function. This is with the ITL 200. The test target is the in scale on a vernier caliper. The caliper surface is very unforgivning to CA.

Here is the final picture - Common sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)

Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent, thanks for the stereo. I was utterly clueless about the shape of those leaves until I locked up the stereo, and then it was immediately obvious.

Can you clarify, please, exactly how you have addressed the blue and green CA in Photoshop? In my Photoshop CC, I cannot find a panel that looks quite like the one that you show.

--Rik

JH

Post by JH »

rjlittlefield wrote:Can you clarify, please, exactly how you have addressed the blue and green CA in Photoshop?
In PS this panel is in filter/camera raw filter/ objectivecorrections or something similar - I only have the Swedish language version.

I prefer Adobe LR because LR have the pipette that makes it easier to find start values for the CA adjustment.

Best regards
Jörgen

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks for posting this use of tube lens with the MM5x. Did you find the results were sharper with tube lens than without? Also, did the tube lens change its telecentricity or distort the image? I ask because my main reason for choosing this lens is that, when used as designed, it allows perfect stitching without any resizing or stretching. It would be interesting if the tube lens preserved those properties.

I would expect that a tube lens would not act as an aperture here, so probably ithe MM5x's telecentricity will not be affected (nothing that happens on the sensor side of the aperture should affect the telecentricity). Maybe the tube lens adds distortion though?

JH

Post by JH »

Hi Lou
Interesting questions. Short answer is that I didn't notice any obvious flaws using the tube lens. For a correct answer more testing is needed.
Best regards
Jörgen

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

The plant hairs or scales can make interesting polar objects too.

Only had this one dirty picture to hand, but you get the idea.

regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

JH

Post by JH »

Photomicro - Thanks for the polarpictures!

Here is an alternative and probably more correct - but more time consuming - way to handle CA. I made R G B pictures from the original, adjusted them with adobe photomerge, merged the R G B pictures and then made a WB.

Maybe something to build into Zerene?

Best regards
Jörgen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic