More mass is better right?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dbur

More mass is better right?

Post by dbur »

My 30 lb stacking stage seemed massive enough, but I can still see vibrations at 10x when walking on my concrete slab on grade floor.

I upgraded my mass by 100x in this new setup. It can do NC controlled 0.5mil (12.7 micron) zero backlash stacking on objects as large as 16 x 29 x 16 inches. (Manual z-axis control)

With my 10x objective I could do a stack and stitched project with up to 59.4 giga images. Can Zerene handle that?

What's the date of this post? :?:

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

:shock: :) :D :lol: :wink:
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Are your vibrations gone?

bralex

Post by bralex »

As a hobby machinist I approve of this setup!

pbraub

Post by pbraub »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Are your vibrations gone?
With the mill on or off that is?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

pbraub wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:Are your vibrations gone?
With the mill on or off that is?
It's a serious question. More mass is not always a good thing. If there are vibrations from the outside, for instance from street due to trucks or etc, then the large mass will still move about, and in fact the resonant frequency of the system will be very low, causing a long decay time.

pbraub

Post by pbraub »

I know. Thorlabs even advertises their composite breadboards with a technical note stating that more weight is not necessarily better.

However, the thought of doing macro on a running mill makes me smile. I can't help it.

dbur

Post by dbur »

Just got back to looking at this some more. Turns out the minimum NC increment is 0.1 mils (2.54 um) rather than the 0.5 mils I was thinking. Jumping on the floor next to the machine does produce some vibration when viewed fully zoomed in at 10x. It's much less than the concrete slab setup though. This machine is on 12x12" pavers on packed sand so there is some extra decoupling in floor that probably helps to isolate vibration.

No vehicle traffic is near enough to cause an issue, but when the neighbors were logging those 150 ft DF's would shake the earth like an asteroid strike when they came down.

Under NC control no vibration is observable.

Now I just need to find a way to get the program to produce a signal I can use to trip the shutter. Anyone know anything about Anilam 1100 controllers?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic