Three very minor Zerene UI suggestions

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bralex

Three very minor Zerene UI suggestions

Post by bralex »

All of these are very minor; they only rise to "occasional annoyance" when I'm working on a large number of quick stacks. I'm running on Win10.

1) When processing a dmap stack, a window pops up to set the contrast threshold. This window does not stay with the main Zerene window - if I'm running Zerene to a secondary monitor, the pop up window still opens on the main monitor, behind whatever I'm running there. The save file dialog window "remembers" its last position, but the contrast threshold dialog does not.

2) As I move through the input files, I am often zoomed in on a particular feature. If I remove the current file from the list of input files, the panel goes black. When I select a new file, it is still zoomed in, but back in the top left corner. I have to relocate the feature of interest, either zooming out or panning around. I can think of 3 ways to tweak this, a) auto-select the next picture and stay in the same position b) remember the position and go there in the next selected picture or c) reset the zoom level when the next picture is selected.

3) I would quite like an option to disable the post-save "image file size" dialog box.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Items 1 and 2, I have added these to the requested features list. There is no workaround at present.

Item 3, try selecting Options > Preferences > Look & Feel > "Use sound, not popup, when output image save is completed".

--Rik

bralex

Post by bralex »

Thanks! I had looked in the "Image saving" options. Works like a charm!

hero

Post by hero »

While we're on UI suggestions, one idea I would like to propose is to have an option to put a small crosshair at the center of the circle for the retouching tool. This would help to locate the pointer's position when the circle is set to a fairly large radius.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, I've just now added that one to the list also.

--Rik

Artiii

Post by Artiii »

If possible dark UI like other graphic softwares please :) Dark grey UI is best for the eyes :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Dark UI, added to the list.

--Rik

Artiii

Post by Artiii »

rjlittlefield wrote:Dark UI, added to the list.

--Rik
Thanks Rik :)

clarnibass

Post by clarnibass »

rjlittlefield wrote:Item 3, try selecting Options > Preferences > Look & Feel > "Use sound, not popup, when output image save is completed".
This is the only thing that ever really annoyed me in Zerene and I never even considered that it's possible to change it, let alone guess where! Thank you!

bralex

Post by bralex »

Another minor one that's bitten me a couple times lately. During a dmap, when the contrast threshold dialog box has appeared, attempting to move or zoom the partially-complete image causes the dmap to continue with the default setting, rather than waiting for explicit input.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

bralex wrote:Another minor one that's bitten me a couple times lately. During a dmap, when the contrast threshold dialog box has appeared, attempting to move or zoom the partially-complete image causes the dmap to continue with the default setting, rather than waiting for explicit input.
That behavior would be a bug. But it has never been reported before, and that bit of code has been essentially unchanged for over 10 years, so I'm suspecting some other cause.

DMap continues whenever the threshold slider window is closed. In addition to clicking the OK button, the window can be closed by hitting the Enter key or spacebar at any time that the OK button has keyboard focus, or by clicking the close decoration on the window. Operating system shortcuts such as Alt+F4 on Windows can also close the window.

If this problem continues, please report it via email to support@zerenesystems.com . That's me also, but wearing a different hat and on a private channel.

--Rik

Edit: to correct the conditions when keyboard actions will cause the threshold slider window to be closed. It used to say "can be closed by hitting the Enter key at any time after the threshold window has gotten keyboard focus"
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bralex

Post by bralex »

Hum. Restarted my system today and wasn't able to reproduce this after several attempts. I usually just send the system to sleep. Might have been some weirdness introduced that way, plus Win10 is often flakey. Sorry about that!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

bralex wrote:Hum. Restarted my system today and wasn't able to reproduce this after several attempts. I usually just send the system to sleep. Might have been some weirdness introduced that way, plus Win10 is often flakey. Sorry about that!
No worries. I'm glad to hear that the problem is gone -- at least for the moment. If it reappears, try to figure out exactly how to reproduce it, preferably after a system restart.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic