Fungi

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Fungi

Post by svalley »

I am assuming this is some sort of fungi. It is growing on a willow leaf and most of the other leaves were covered in similar colonies. At first I thought is was a waxy secretion from some weird scale type insects, but as soon as I looked under magnification I knew I was wrong. There are crown shaped, spiny, white formations growing out of some of the larger darker spores. They were difficult to define against the network of threads of the same tone below them.

This is the first time I can remember having blown yellows. The small yellow spores were almost featureless under normal exposure. Blown highlights are something photomacrographers try to avoid because you cannot extract details from those areas. I see blown reds occasionally and usually drop my exposure a bit and de-saturate that color in the Adobe Raw Converter enough to restore details. A similar tweak on the yellow worked here.

Nikon D810, Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20x on a 200mm Micro-nikkor, diffused electronic flash, 190 exposures, Zerene.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Very nice image!
I think that the brown and yellow bodies are sporangia, not spores that would be much smaller
Pau

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

svalley

Post by svalley »

Thanks guys.

I got a positive ID, Erysiphe adunca, a fungi.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

VinodkumarSelvaraj

Re: Fungi

Post by VinodkumarSelvaraj »

svalley wrote:I am assuming this is some sort of fungi. It is growing on a willow leaf and most of the other leaves were covered in similar colonies. At first I thought is was a waxy secretion from some weird scale type insects, but as soon as I looked under magnification I knew I was wrong. There are crown shaped, spiny, white formations growing out of some of the larger darker spores. They were difficult to define against the network of threads of the same tone below them.

This is the first time I can remember having blown yellows. The small yellow spores were almost featureless under normal exposure. Blown highlights are something photomacrographers try to avoid because you cannot extract details from those areas. I see blown reds occasionally and usually drop my exposure a bit and de-saturate that color in the Adobe Raw Converter enough to restore details. A similar tweak on the yellow worked here.

Nikon D810, Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20x on a 200mm Micro-nikkor, diffused electronic flash, 190 exposures, Zerene.

Steve
Excellent image. If I am right they are the sexual fruiting bodies (chasmothecia). I could see the thread like structures around the fruiting bodies. Which may be appendages or ascus. Unbelievable I have always studied them looking through a microscope. Nice image :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic