Help! High friction compounds for camera mounts?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tcnr

Help! High friction compounds for camera mounts?

Post by tcnr »

Hi,

I have a Bresser microscope photo camera adapter 23mm (short) and T2 Lens Ring Adapter Mount to Canon EOS 1200D on a trinocular stereoscopic microscope. The camera cables can sometimes pull on the camera and cause it to rotate in mid image acquisition for stacks which is incredibly annoying.

Does anyone have any tips for increasing the friction within the mount to reduce this risk? I have been thinking about anti-seize used on car wheel bolts or Carbon Fibre Assembly Gel used to prevent slippage of bicycle parts such as seat posts/ tubes. I don't really want to end up gluing the mount though.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Pictures, please
Pau

tcnr

Post by tcnr »

Pau wrote:Pictures, please

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I still have not clear how the adapter fits the phototube, it seems that it just slides into the phototube like an eyepiece, am I right?

If so I can guess few ideas to fix it:
- If the coupling is pretty exact and the phototube end metal wall is not thick, a ring with a locking screw bolt to fit externally the phototube can work: when you tight the bolt it will elastically deform very slightly the tube fixing the adapter, I've done it with old microscopes.
-If the coupling is not very exact, a piece or adhesive tape glued to the adapter tube can do it
- You also can attach the cables to the microscope phototube preventing that any traction could be transmitted to the camera.
Pau

tcnr

Post by tcnr »

Many thanks for the reply. The problem lies within the rings of the adapter, the coupling to the microscope is sound. I’m confident that I can degrease the assembly if it goes horribly wrong so I’ll give it a go with some anti seize where the arrow sits in the image.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

I would also recommend a (removable) adhesive.

Either a removable or low strength tread locker http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/the-d ... adlockers/

or just a drop to two of water-soluble craft glue applied from the outside; not too much so you can still take it off later.

Regards, Ichty

tcnr

Post by tcnr »

Thank you for all the advice, I have put a couple of nitrile O-rings in the mount and it has definitely steadied it. Strangely it has improved the field of view considerably, somehow.
If the O-rings fail I'll try the glue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic