Insect examination/posing/microscope stages

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Just check ebay once in a while. I've Paid ~30USD / per japan made goniometer. Take care to match nodal points.

NikonUser

Re: goniometers

Post by NikonUser »

Yawns wrote:
not everybody can afford them ... it's not a question of lack of knowledge .. it's a question of budget and income... when you don't have the resources gotta be creative and turn around the situations ...
I was just trying to be helpful, with luck you can find small ones for <$50.00
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

JohnyM wrote:Just check ebay once in a while. I've Paid ~30USD / per japan made goniometer. Take care to match nodal points.
So have I - this was even less:
Chris R

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

That looks... rough. Does it work well?

Saul

Post by Saul »

My setup (thanks Charles for the great idea). Only difference - I'm using soft ball needle instead the copper strip.. Before I tried micro stages, had a " rotatable goniometer" - small thing from the Stanley SU-100 door sensor, which holds/positions micro antenna inside the unit (was pretty comfortable).
But slide/clay/needle combination was the winner - very compact, easy to place around different diffusers, you can have n+1 ready specimens if you think, that you photo session is not fully complete yet, etc ...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

viktor j nilsson wrote:That looks... rough. Does it work well?
:lol: It's a bit small, but yes it works! It's nickel plated so less sexy than most. It needs a square-bore tool to adjust - I made one from a brass tube. It has a better tilt range than most goniometers, but of course a short radius. The dark screw holes you can see adjust the stiffness of the slides. It's very solid.
Later a forum member sent me a base for it which gives 2 more degrees of freedom, making 5.
I believe it's designed for crystallographic measurements.
Chris R

Len Willan

Post by Len Willan »

A Simple Horizontal Rig for Pinned Insects
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

Its pivoting “Stick Pin Sleeve”was made from a cheap kitchen cupboard spring loaded Ball Catch ,which has been drilled to accept a tube from a hypodermic needle.
This provides for both the adjusting of a “set” specimen to the horizontal plane and to rotate and tilt to the vertical. This can be done with your left hand when sitting at the bench looking through the viewfinder, it also allows ample tilting to one side so that specimens can be removed with ease and safety

The “Stick Pin Tubes” of various lengths are the next larger gauge of hypodermic needle secured by a soldered off cut of the locking screw of a camera cable release.

Pins of all sizes can be safely pushed into the wad of Bergeon Rodico that has been inserted into the open end of the tube, and when the Rodico is spent it can easily be removed with a small twist drill.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Very nice stage Chris! Looks like one fancy "CSI" bullet comparision stages?

I've purchased "classic" goniometers. 60x60 with 80mm WD and 40x40x20 with 60mm WD for 35 and 25 USD respectively. Those are amazing tools, i cant imagine how i've managed to take stacks without those now :)

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

sometime ago I found this company based in Europe (Lithuania) .. so free of import taxes for europeans

Eskma Optics... their prices are far more reasonable than Thorlabs or Edmunds... if if their stuff is good .. I don't know

http://eksmaoptics.com

190€
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Deanimator

Re: goniometers

Post by Deanimator »

Yawns wrote:
NikonUser wrote:I guess all the above work, but if you wish to get better control over your bugs then a pair of goniometers is essential (see AnrewC comment)
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... goniometer
not everybody can afford them ... it's not a question of lack of knowledge .. it's a question of budget and income... when you don't have the resources gotta be creative and turn around the situations ...
I know what you mean.

When I was working crappy contract IT jobs, I learned a LOT about making stuff with PVC pipe.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Chris R

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Stolen from another forum:
Poundland, £2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k8tdA07ERRI
Chris R

lothman

Post by lothman »

tcnr

Re: Insect examination/posing/microscope stages

Post by tcnr »

First post, so apologies!

I use 2 types of stage. Very pleased with the 'EntoBall' from https://www.microscopesplus.co.uk/page143.html and the Lego Open-IMp described here https://zookeys.pensoft.net/article/4667/

The Lego was tremendous fun to build but it took over an hour to order all the parts!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic